Hayes Nine 9 Brakes Advice - Servicing, Bleeding & Pads

Mindmap3":3qka4dz5 said:
I may have a spare bleed connection - I'll have a look in the man cave and let you know.

That would be great thanks.

Are you sure the pistons are ceramic - mine look like they're plastic?

Bullpup":6w47em1j said:
Mindmap3":6w47em1j said:
I may have a spare bleed connection - I'll have a look in the man cave and let you know.

Hi mate, not got the bleed adapter anymore. I was sure I would have put it somewhere safe as I tend to hang onto stuff like that. I think you can buy them individually from CRC. I use an olive from a Mag brake to make sure the rubber hose doesn't POP off the bleed nipple.

Pistons are defo ceramic for better heat dissipation.

The problem i used to always have with Hayes 9s was the seal on the resivor cap failing which allowed air to be drawn into them.

bleeding wise i just used a big syringe and a bit of plastic tube. Just turned the lever vertical, took off the cap and pumped a load of wilkos finest fit 4 fluid through the system till all the air bubbles stopped coming through. Not the.official method butt worked fine for me.

Pad wise i.can't fault the superstar sintered pads.

Mindmap3":25fkitra said:
Bullpup":25fkitra said:
Mindmap3":25fkitra said:

Hi mate, not got the bleed adapter anymore. I was sure I would have put it somewhere safe as I tend to hang onto stuff like that. I think you can buy them individually from CRC. I use an olive from a Mag brake to make sure the rubber hose doesn't POP off the bleed nipple.

Pistons are defo ceramic for better heat dissipation.

Thanks very much for looking

Sell them at a profit and get better brakes ! As an ex mechanic i hate Hayes, but when they are not playing up they work well.

My advice for any caliper with un equal firing pistons is, take the pistons out, new seals and plenty of silicon (not the DIY stuff) silicon liquid around the seals.

greenstiles":36erbzu1 said:
Sell them at a profit and get better brakes ! As an ex mechanic i hate Hayes, but when they are not playing up they work well.

My advice for any caliper with un equal firing pistons is, take the pistons out, new seals and plenty of silicon (not the DIY stuff) silicon liquid around the seals.

Thanks - looks like great advice.

How do you get a stuck piston out without compressed air?

Back