June 2012 BoTM 'Dead End Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nader":3p4fux9n said:
that's right, but BOTM of this month is really not a BOTM and has become a discussion thread! :(

The beauty of BOTM is that it always becomes a discussion thread which is great as it means BOTM still has relevance after 5 years, people are still passionate about the bikes that get presented. People's interpretation of the brief and allegiances to particular brands, models, NOSness etc is what makes this fun.

I reckon that the day that people just enter photos and then people just vote will be the last day this competition runs!

pete_mcc":pti6nhq1 said:
Nader":pti6nhq1 said:
that's right, but BOTM of this month is really not a BOTM and has become a discussion thread! :(

The beauty of BOTM is that it always becomes a discussion thread which is great as it means BOTM still has relevance after 5 years, people are still passionate about the bikes that get presented. People's interpretation of the brief and allegiances to particular brands, models, NOSness etc is what makes this fun.

I reckon that the day that people just enter photos and then people just vote will be the last day this competition runs!
But ultimately this is a competition and we would rather see bikes instead blabber!
I want to see unusual, unique bike design, niche products that have not been accepted by the masses because of its functionality or appearance

like my koga :LOL:

kog01.jpg

kog02.jpg

..so where are those classic bikes?

Nader":1tf4cx0b said:
pete_mcc":1tf4cx0b said:
Nader":1tf4cx0b said:

But ultimately this is a competition and we would rather see bikes instead blabber!

The bikes come in the Poll/Vote all tided up and easy to look at.
This is the nomination where you throw it in the ring and talk, bicker , ohh and ahh at metal and dis the plastic.

OK, I'll see you and raise you 4 dead ends for the price of one...

1: URT suspension
2: Leading linkage front fork
3: Rev Rox tensioned carbon spokes
4: White tyres

2dabfabb.jpg

Bizarrely, for something so wrong, it rides really well :shock:
Maybe all the different vectors of weirdness cancel each other out.

All the best,

Can't believe I didn't realise this before...

I shall enter my Santa Cruz Tazmon

[I'll up load a pic here later]

The first Santa Cruz Bicycles design, which after a couple of years lead to the simpler design of the Heckler, got them on the MTB map, but was expensive to make and could only be fitted with a Risse rear shock.

The fantastic dead end feature is the rigidly mounted rear shock, which then relies on an eccentric bush to allow for the arc of the shock pivot centre as it moves through its travel. To my knowledge, no other bike does this.

Compared to other rear suspension designs of the time, I found it noticeably stiffer laterally when cornering hard over bumps or giving it lots of welly out of the saddle. Mine has had about 10 years use on the current set of bearings and bushes without developing any play, which seems a novelty compared to other designs.

Disadvantages though are the limited choice of shocks (a modern platform shock would suit the single pivot design better), and whilst the bearings developed no play, my first set got quite notchy when trying to turn them by hand, so I replaced them after about 5 years.

( and its an e-stay too of course :cool: )

danson67":tmn8wqvk said:
OK, I'll see you and raise you 4 dead ends for the price of one...

1: URT suspension
2: Leading linkage front fork
3: Rev Rox tensioned carbon spokes
4: White tyres

2dabfabb.jpg

Bizarrely, for something so wrong, it rides really well :shock:
Maybe all the different vectors of weirdness cancel each other out.

All the best,

Please don't take this the wrong way but.....

If ever a frame, fork and set of wheels should have been kept some distance apart it is those.

And the fork is a spectacular dead end, though strangely fascinating.

Tazio
Please don't take this the wrong way but..... If ever a frame, fork and set of wheels should have been kept some distance apart it is those.
Quite right...I do like things a bit weird, but I have to admit that I put this together specially. The forks and wheels are usually safely stored on opposite sides of the shed :D

It usually has Manitou Mars and Spox fitted.

All the best.

danson67":12svuyc0 said:
Tazio

Quite right...I do like things a bit weird, but I have to admit that I put this together specially. The forks and wheels are usually safely stored on opposite sides of the shed :D

It usually has Manitou Mars and Spox fitted.

All the best.

Cool, I do like those Kleins though. And talking of dead ends Gary Klein originally planned on them running with rigid forks apparently, now there's a dead end, rear bounce, rigid front.

Tazio":3u59z4ld said:
Cool, I do like those Kleins though. And talking of dead ends Gary Klein originally planned on them running with rigid forks apparently, now there's a dead end, rear bounce, rigid front.

But because of the pivot placement and rider COG, the shock would compress under a front impact too (atleast I think that was the idea).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back