Re-tubing a tubular tyre.

Morning all. I did try some car tyre weld but that didn't work (although it was stuff I found in my garage and at least 10 years old :roll: )
I went for a ride yesterday and now the front tyre leaks a bit. I'm admitting defeat and looking out for some other clements on ebay. I will still just out of interest contact the repairer guy in the comic. I want to be able to ride it without worrying about a puncture or blowout every ride!
Cheers.

tyres

Best idea. You still have the original tyres only now you are not risking breaking your neck with them. Not to mention the damage to the bike that a blown out tub can cause.
Regards
Peter

I've not tried this, although i have repaired punctures in tubs with good success, but apparently this is the way ...
make sure you use a BUTYL tube..

So you dont have to undo all the stitching, you can undo a small amount around the valve area, and cut the old tube in half.

Do the same with your new tube and temporarily fasten the ends together, so that when you pull the old tube out, it draws the new one through.
Once its in, unjoin, then fasten the 2 ends of the new tube together with vulcanizing solution. There should be enough give in a tube to allow reasonable overlap. Make sure it holds pressure, then sew back up.

Reglue the basetape using copydex and voila! (apparently :) )

Ive seen a step by step webguide with pics somewhere, but cant find right now..

Well I gave up in the end, luckily some nice period (ish) replacements came up courtesy of a lovely old man in San Diego :LOL:

teambikes001.jpg

I will keep the originals though, juuuuust in case........... :LOL:

Back