Can Wiggins win the Tour?

I thoroughly enjoyed the last two stages of the Dauphine, for two reasons:
1 Wiggo got the win and Sky were impressive
2 Both stages were on roads I know - I was staying near Samoens last summer and went up the Col du Joux Plane; and stayed near Abondance a few years ago and did the ride up to Chatel several times.

I think this has got to be the best chance Wiggins will get, his form is outstanding. But for me the threat will come form Hesjedal. He has proven himself over three weeks and has been focussing on recovering to take on the TdF. Evans last year finally found the guile he's needed for so long but I think age is catching up on him. Schlecks 1+2 need to get their act together, I'm all for a bit of form bluffing but they've been atrocious.

I hope Sky do focus on Wiggins though, Cavendish has shown he can win without a leadout train and if he's not going to finish the race then they really should be backing Wiggins.

With the race being so open it will hopefully bring out some good performances from some others, I'd like to see Gesink, Mollema Fugslang having a go.

Does anyone know Liquigas's roster?

Not sure if Cavendish will ride all the way to Paris with the Olympics so soon after. For the first week having a train leading Cav out might also help Wiggins as it can keep him up front out of trouble. He doesn't have to do any pulling on front but sitting 5 or 6 back would be ideal. Also enables him to keep an eye on Evans as he'll be trying to get seconds here and there by breaking away in the last few kms like he was doing last year.

:eek: Don't think Frank has it in him to do it himself, maybe Fugslang? Or Kloden?

Fuglsang is nowhere near experienced enough to be in with a shout before a couple of years from now. But he could do well.

I'd like to see Wiggins do well. Hoping he stays out of accidents this year. He's got the team but the split role for Cav will be a problem. But Telekom had the same problem riding for Ullrich and Zabel. It's doable....

I think he's got as good a chance as anyone.

Back