First Retro MTB Build YETI

yeti-man":1emmeygc said:
Major22":1emmeygc said:
FirstFlight also sells modern yet skinwall Ritcheys, probably better performers than the Timbuks.

- hmm and why is that...?

Well, the Timbuks are a 80's design, and tyre design have come a long way since then. That doesn't mean 1980's tyres are all bad, (I like the Ritchey Duro -series for example) just a general observation.

I had Timbuks on a bike in 1992-3 and again a couple of years ago, and I didn't think they were especially good tyres, but YMMV. The rubber on the ones I had recently had most likely gone a bit hard though so..

I haven't tried the remakes, nor the Ritcheys FF is selling, so that's why I said 'probably'. The Ritcheys might even be total crap! ;)

Thanks for the tire info.

Those Timbuks are nice looking for sure. This would work well with the YETI.

Thanks,

B

Sounds like it's actually being used as a bike (you know, ridden!) and not just looked at so I don't see the harm in using modern tires.

Sweet bike!
I'm actually liking the modern tyres, they look great and give the bike an individual look.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ride it? Of course...

Not much for restraint. This bike is too good not to ride. I always wanted one and thanks to a local chap here in LA, its all good. I think I will give the vintage Timbuk a try and see how they perform. Blending old and new is not always a bad idea. I think if a vintage high end bike is original and unmolested, butchering it without question is a bad idea. I have a Masi Gran Criterium that has a carbon 10speed gruppo on it. It is one of my favorite bikes to ride. I actually like it as much as my Colnago Extreme power which is all decked out. I will never sell the Masi as long as I can ride. I will treat this YETI the same.

YETI Ultimate .. UPDATE

I think the Yeti Ultimate is finally finished. Found a Atac and Accutrax for it. Changed the cranks to Bullseye and put a set of Critical Racing brakes that match the wheels and Hyperlite bars perfectly. I think its finally the way I want it.

Ben

Attachments

• Yeti-Side.jpg
    Yeti-Side.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 625
  • Yeti-Rear.jpg
    Yeti-Rear.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 625
  • YEti-Front.jpg
    YEti-Front.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 625
Love it! Will you get decals for the fork and stem?

Back