Selling Advice Please?

oldave

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I wouldn't ask for me, but a good friend (and totally dedicated cyclist, works for Ridewise, no car, he and his wife and toddler travel EVERYWHERE by bikes/trailers) needs to shift his Trek 8500. I gather the frame is one of last USA made models (he bought it NOS from LBS a few years ago). Xt wheels, SRAM top end etc. SIDs. VERY well cared for and little ridden.

Normally I'd advise him to split it, but for a modern disc'd bike with all v good components, perhaps worth auctioning complete? Splitting would of course mean higher total selling fees if he goes down the th' 'bay route.

He's asked for my advice - so if anyone has any comments I'd be very grateful to hear them.

Sorry if this doesn't really "fit", but I'd like to help him as much as I can

Trek85001.jpg

I'd split it myself...I think once you get to higher end bikes, people get fussy (I know I am - I don't like those bars, tyres, brakes etc...).

How desparate is he to sell? I keep getting e-mails about free listing days etc. It doesn't save much, but it does help.

You will save on insertion fees - and if the overall fees are higher, surely that means you've made more money as I thought the fees were % based.

The other this is that stuff does seem to go for a lot on the bay. The downside to splitting it is that it takes longer to list / sell, more to post and you may get left with unpopular bits.

Thanks - points taken!

As to Fees, I was thinking of the £40 maximum which a complete sale would atract, rather than a number of 20-30 quids for separates.

IF split, I guess frame. forks, wheels + brakes, shifters and drive presumably the main "chunks"?

Ah didn't think about that with the fees (I'm not too up on flea bay fees these days....I just wince when my invoice comes through).

Before braving the bay, you could try the free forums to see if you can get any interest but still think best money is split (when I worked in a bike shop, one of the guys would buy complete bikes for more than the shop would give for a trade in, split and usually make a killing).

As you said frame, forks, wheels, brakes, mechs, and shifters are where most money will come from.

Back