1997 Dekerf Generation

If you haven't seen it, you might be interested in Steve Jones' recent advert. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Note that he has the 96 Hot frame at 3.96lbs for a size 17. I have a 98 Explosif, also made of Reynolds 853, also size 17 and that weighs 4.35. Different scales obviously, but each of us is reasonably confident that ours is fairly correct. So it shows how different the tube specifications were between the Hot and the Explosif, and suggests that the Hot selection must be pretty much the lightest (flexiest) 853 set available.

Anthony":ynozyvqx said:
If you haven't seen it, you might be interested in Steve Jones' recent advert. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Note that he has the 96 Hot frame at 3.96lbs for a size 17. I have a 98 Explosif, also made of Reynolds 853, also size 17 and that weighs 4.35. Different scales obviously, but each of us is reasonably confident that ours is fairly correct. So it shows how different the tube specifications were between the Hot and the Explosif, and suggests that the Hot selection must be pretty much the lightest (flexiest) 853 set available.
My 19.5" Dekerf Solitaire in 853 tips the scales at 1.8kg (3.96lb) dead, which is only 100gms heavier than an 18.5" '94 dekerf in Logic supertubing. The same scales give my 19.5" Blizzard (also 853)as 2.1kg or 4.62lbs, so I trust they are pretty accurate. I don't find any of them to be flexy, though I am only 70kg.

canuckinboston":3gkezeb1 said:
Took her out for an inaugural spin today and can confirm that this is one nice ride! Its a slightly different feel from the Brodie (slightly more responsive in tight turns, even with the Brodie's rigid forks) and definitely less whippy than the Hot especially on descents. I don't know if its the difference in geometry or the difference in the type of steel but I think this is now my favourite ride of the three (untill I get the next one, I suppose :D )

just as you, i think the DeKerf has to be one of my favourites to ride in the bunch that i own.

Bringing old thread to life.

I just picked up one of these frames this weekend, NOS. Never built up.

I need some ideas on a fork for it. Want to keep it rigid, but not sure what fork, or suspension correction the frame was built around.

If anyone has any thoughts on the length of a fork for this, and maybe rec's for the fork itself I'd be happy to hear them.

wabasso":otfn08hq said:

I need some ideas on a fork for it. Want to keep it rigid, but not sure what fork, or suspension correction the frame was built around.

If anyone has any thoughts on the length of a fork for this, and maybe rec's for the fork itself I'd be happy to hear them.

Only acceptable rigid fork that belongs on a DeKerf is one of his Tuning forks. ;)

http://www.dekerf.com/Details.asp?id=13

P1020197.jpg

RockiMtn":dksq728y said:
wabasso":dksq728y said:

Only acceptable rigid fork that belongs on a DeKerf is one of his Tuning forks. ;)

http://www.dekerf.com/Details.asp?id=13

P1020197.jpg

I know.

I have sent Chris a message ( I have a road frame he made me years ago), but the Tuning Fork will cost me more than the frame did!

As he even says himself though, the Tuning Fork is a VERY rigid fork.

Very nice... if you ever fancy selling those cranks... :D

Got a Dekerf Full Suss that could really use them!

Tange Switchblades with Prestige blades would not be out of place on any DeKerf, if you can find some.

DeKerf

Lovely frame, but spoilt by running Vee's, Canti Hangers look awful just hung out in space redundant, do the right thing and buy some quality Canti's and levers!!!!!

Back