raleigh mustang

kanerdog1x1

Senior Retro Guru
well here was the dilemma, having a nos raleigh mustang frame in the attic, do i leave it there for no apparent reason because it s not exactly accumilating any value, unless you factor in the value of its weight at the scrap metal yard, or do i do something with it a little bit unorthodox?

so here you have the start of my running project, i hope to never fully finish it, because i have most fun fettling and i dont really know how i want it to be if it was to be finished.

to start with i made some horizontal dropouts for it, out of 6mm plate, its about the only steel we had at work, and the industrial estate is pretty much closed on a friday at 4.30pm. would have liked 4mm thick, but hey-ho. welded the bad boys in, and went for a curry with my mate.

fast forward to this afternoon, my other mate though it was cool, did a bit of a dry assembly with the wheels and the forks, looked good, so we fired it together for a bit of a test ride.

bloody hell, id ride a dh course on this, and probably hurt myself, but it rides really well.
anyway, some fotos.
the frame is 1" headset, and bmx bottom bracket, so one piece cranks and 1-1/8 ahead forks it is then.

hang on, that shouldnt fit, but it does. bmx inch mind, so with smaller bearings and a bit of a mix and match of headset parts we are rolling.
ihave got the matching suntour front barke, but no front hanger, so will sort that out next week some time, and post some updates.

Attachments

• Image004.jpg
    Image004.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 10,094
Interesting!

This frame was like my first MTB.
Please tell me you weighed the frame...I have always wanted to know exactly how heavy it was :)

bugger, no weight sorry, dont worry tho, will most likely strip it when i decide what colour it needs to be. believe when i say its HEAVY!
the bars need about 2 inches off either end, far too wide. makes negotiating traffic 'interesting'!

close up pics later in the week.

Cool, I had two of those and a black & white Mustang (my 1st MTB) as a kid.

Tough as old boots, heavier than a tank!

Andy B":cxyjnpc6 said:
Cool, black & white Mustang (my 1st MTB) as a kid.

Tough as old boots, heavier than a tank!

It was my first mtb. I had the black & white version too. Had it two weeks and the BB fell out while riding along :cry: :LOL:
So sold it for £50 As couldn't be bothered to get it fixed. Went and bought a Muddy Fox next day.

Funny, black and white mustang had riser bars and BMX size BB shell.
How modern is that! With BB30 std now, and people laffing at flat bars :LOL:

Latest posts

Back