Chris Marshall Iron Man/TT - Saved from the tip

Mifkif

Dirt Disciple
Forgive me for the long intro to this, even though you will have flicked down to the pictures already, and then popped back up here to read this :D

My journey to work takes me past the local tip. At the weekend there are a couple of scrap men who flank the entrance to the tip. There sole purpose is to 'catch' as much scrap metal before it goes over the wall.

Most weekends, I am at work as that is where I go to play :LOL:. As I pass the scrap men they usually have a few bikes lined up against the wall. The usual suspects, cheap and cheerful full suspension mountain bikes, never designed to be ridden for any period of time.

A few weeks ago, when I went past, something caught my eye though. A road bike frame, parted from it's wheels, and leaned up against the wall. A quick swerve across the road, and the question was asked if he would sell the frame.

I could not get it in the car quick enough, trying hard not to burst into a fit of joyful laughter.

After the short journey to work I put it in the office and had a good nosey at what I had just bought. Everything seemed to be stiff. So a strip down was on the cards.

The bottom bracket was completley gone and was not worth trying to salvage, so a sealed BB was bought, along with some Planet X rims, a new 7 speed cassette, a new chain, a couple of Kenda tyres, and some fresh tubes.

Last weekend and this week during my dinner break, I started to build it back up. Today I finally got to ride it home. It is a bit big for me really, but since the loss (sale :( ) of my Team Banana, it felt good to be back on a road bike again.

So here you go -

Chris-Marshall-05.jpg

Chris-Marshall-03.jpg

Chris-Marshall-02.jpg

Chris-Marshall-06.jpg

Chris-Marshall-04.jpg

Chris-Marshall-01.jpg

It has a full 105 groupset, complete with Bio-pace chain rings, profile TT bars and seat mounted bottle holder. Therefore I can truly believe that the Ironman Switzerland 1998 stickers are genuine.

Quite how this ended up in the hands of the scrap man, is beyond me, but I am so glad fate brought it all together, and I managed to save one from certain death.

Makes me wonder what happened to it's wheel though. I bet they were carbon and the scrap man refused to take them as there weren't metal
:?:

Matt

A great story and a great find!

I expect you will get extra enjoyment from this bike after such a fortunate start, hope you get used to the size. I have had bikes before that have seemed big initially, but have soon got used to them.

Thanks for sharing your story, it is the kind of thing most of us can only dream of now the scrap men are so hungry for metal!

Cheers guys.

The guy was loading up his van to call it a day too, so 10 minutes later and I would have missed it altogether.

I hate seeing perfectly serviceable bikes going over the weigh bridge, especially ones with such a life behind them.

I am half tempted to go back and give the guy my number so he can call me if he gets any more interesting bikes, I can only imagine the mess I would get myself in, with bikes everywhere :LOL:

Matt

I have a friendly scrap collector :D Most of its bso's which I pass on but my best score so far was a giant terrago stx/lx/magura hs11's and a set of 8 speed wheels which all found there way into my box of bits and on to the ginger step kid. Slapped some low end bits on it and sold it for a profit :LOL:

One of these days there will be summats really tasty. Fingers crossed.

Just completed the Great Manchester Ride, posting a time of 02:45:22 for the 52 mile route, with an average of 18.91mph.

Me and the bike worked so well on this ride, it was like a dream. Shame there was a bit of road bike snobbery against the old boy, but hey there are the ones paying stoopid amounts on road bikes to find they still cannot keep up with the old boy.

Doing a Manchester to Blackpool run on the 8th July, so hopefully I can put some more people to shame.

Roll on Retro

Matt

Nice one! Have you spoken to Chris about it? He may be able to tell you it's history etc. He's well into retro ;)

I emailed him with a quick message, and the pictures above, but he has not got back to me.

Maybe I'll give him a nudge.

Matt

Back