Can Wiggins win the Tour?

Re: In form

Carge":2c0x1fkz said:
I pulled past him - stopped at the top - as I had a plane to catch. When Evans got to the top - he wasn't even out of breath. It was 30degC and he had ONE bead of sweat on his forehead.

If only you'd said - "I pulled past him and got off the bike at the top" :LOL:

Re: In form

rolf f":2m3kbymi said:
Carge":2m3kbymi said:
I pulled past him - stopped at the top - as I had a plane to catch. When Evans got to the top - he wasn't even out of breath. It was 30degC and he had ONE bead of sweat on his forehead.

If only you'd said - "I pulled past him and got off the bike at the top" :LOL:

"I pulled past him - gave him the look - and then got off the bike at the top"

And then I woke up :)

TdeF these days has no meaning to me! All the bikes look the same, they all ride the same and even wear F1 style peaked caps on the podium. :roll:

Yawn :p Will someone buy me a bed when it starts and wake me up after its finished please :?

Oh lock this thread please PLEASE PLEEEEEASE

HINAULT
LEMOND
MERCKX
FIGNON
ROCHE
KELLY
MILLAR
ANDERSON
DELGADO
HERRERA
PARRA
VANDERAERDEN
PLANKAERT
VAN DER VELDE

i'm sorry, but when a guy called "WIGGINS" is up there with a chance of winning the Tour de France, then i'm switching OFF!!!

(actually, i haven't watched it since Armstrong won it so many times that i fell asleep mid stage! )
:?

time to dust off the VHS tapes again...i wonder who'll win the 1986 Tour, THIS time?!

:LOL:

ededwards":2kq1f420 said:
Can Wiggins win the Tour? Yes.

Will Wiggins win the Tour? Probably not (but I hope that I'm wrong).

Why don't I have more faith, particularly with recent stage race wins? I'm not sure the week or so races compare to the relentless grind of a three week Grand Tour. I remember Wiggins suffering in the mountains in the Tour in 2009 (when he was an unmarked surprise package) and last years Vuelta (admittedly off the back of a broken collarbone) and he could lose minutes in just one bad day. That said, he'll likely take minutes out of the climbers in the time trials but more of an allrounder (Evans?) may be able to limit losses in the latter and gain more uphill.

Regardless, it promises to be one of the most open in years and if it's half as good as last year we'll be in for something special.

Indeed, it's a good, open event and ought to make for exciting viewing. Wiggins is in with a better chance than ever, Evans being the obvious threat. Both Schlecks are distinctly below-par and there seem to be management "issues" in their team set-up which can hardly be good for morale.

David

rusty bodie":20lrbb3v said:
HINAULT
LEMOND
MERCKX
FIGNON
ROCHE
KELLY
MILLAR
ANDERSON
DELGADO
HERRERA
PARRA
VANDERAERDEN
PLANKAERT
VAN DER VELDE

i'm sorry, but when a guy called "WIGGINS" is up there with a chance of winning the Tour de France, then i'm switching OFF!!!

:LOL:

Sorry, you appear to have made a mistake...several names above Merckx :shock:

Ever hear of some guys called Anquetil and Coppi???

But I like your point...ish. :?

Who'd a thought an Evans would win it?

Especially an Aussie with a Welsh name.

And an ex-mountain biker!

Whatever next?! The son of an ex-pro track star who is an ex-track star himself? And who has won several stage races already and been 4th before?

In today's climate I would say he stands as much chance as anyone.

I hope I'll be in Paris to see him on the podium.

Old Ned":2gvn9st3 said:
Whatever next?! The son of an ex-pro track star who is an ex-track star himself? And who has won several stage races already and been 4th before?

In today's climate I would say he stands as much chance as anyone.

I hope I'll be in Paris to see him on the podium.

Beats the hell out of some under-achieving, over-hyped tennis player failing miserably[1]. Again.

David

[1] Reserving judgment on Hodgson and the England squad for now as we're only 1 match into the Euros. Still, if Brits can't beat the French at one of our own national sports, the Dauphine result shows we can beat them at one of theirs. ;)

Back