Dura Ace 7402 8sp hyperglide rear hub fit 10 speed cassette?

McCheung

Retro Newbie
Hi thinking of getting a set of Dura Ace 7402 8sp hyperglide front and rear hubs. But I'm thinking of upgrading to STI 10 speed in the near future, I read that with the correct spacers it can be fitted just need to double check before I buy them.

I've been stuck in a time warp and lost track oh bike gears since 1994-2012 so any help would be appreciated :)

This is th pic of the hub

IMG_3097.jpg

I know STI isn't old Skool but seems safer than reaching for gears on the down tube. I was a bit wobbly like the extra weight around ma belly :D

Cheers

If the freehub body length is 35mm then it will accept a 10 speed cassette plus a 1mm spacer behind the big sprocket

I was going to say the same about the freehub. However I have just this weekend taken none off and bunged a modern one on the hub. Maybe check with Sheldon Brown but mine fitted perfectly. That way it will work fine.
You may need to adjust the spacing as maybe the freehubs wdith might affect things. You may even need a re dish but doubt it.
Why not try to borrow a modern free hub. Even a crappy old thing from a scrap bin will do if its 8/9/10 speed.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll get the STI first and see how easy it is for me to convert my old Shimano 105 8 speed hyberglide to a 10 speed. Yes got lots of info from Sheldon Brown's website. Worse comes to the worse I'll need to do a bit of filing on the hub to get it to fit.

If that works I'll rethink about getting a Dura Ace 8 speed if its an easy enough job on my 105's

Am I hallucinating, but I seem to recall something about 8 Speed Dura Ace freehubs and cassettes being specific and different to 600/Ultegra and below and there is a problem mixing them up?

First of all, the hubs pictured are Uniglide, not Hyperglide hubs. They won't take a Hyperglide cassette without modification, and because the thread size is unique to Dura Ace, at least the smallest sprocket must be from a Dura Ace Uniglide cassette.

If you're unclear about the difference between Uniglide and Hyperglide, Sheldon has a summary here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

The freehub body can be changed for a Hyperglide model, but (as sletti rightly says) only a Dura Ace 7403 Hyperglide body. Dura Ace 7400-series hubs had a unique freehub body attachment that also requires a special tool. No non-Dura-Ace body will fit. See Sheldon's summary here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

If you're actually talking about Hyperglide hubs, then you can use any 8, 9, or 10-speed cassette, as long as the smallest sprocket is bigger than 11t.

Older Dura Ace is nice kit, but compatibility can be a bit of a minefield. Ultegra/600 often makes more sense for a bike that's going to be ridden.

Back