June 2012 BoTM 'Dead End Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ductape":1egym7ja said:
Aren't most modern FS bikes bolted together?

RC was a visionary!

He could be a visionary, except he forgot to include any degrees of freedom in his "linkage" ;)

JohnDoe":1vtzf0kw said:
To me am evolutionary dead end would have to be something that not only didn't make it to the present generation of bikes but also either:

Hasn't been accepted by most frame or parts manufacturers despite being around for a while or,
Was used widely at the time but only for a brief period.

So in summary, an idea that only saw one or two iterations. This way things like quill stems, lugs, and canti brakes won't count. Each of these saw wide use in the marketplace.

Case in point would be that Cannondale SE. Flex stem, rigid aluminum fork, and force 40 brakes were never really accepted or improved.

In that case, where all the Activators? Not aware of any other manufacturer using lead for the frame tubes! :)

[quote

In that case, where all the Activators? Not aware of any other manufacturer using lead for the frame tubes! :)[/quote]

it is misconstrued that the activator has a heavier than normal frame,its the forks that are over heavy,and there are many other steel bikes on rb that are just as heavy,most of the haters of raleigh and their mistakes have never even sat on an activator :roll: :roll:

i was going to build up a bike of dead-end parts

Diamond Back WCF frame
AMP fork
biopace rings
gripshifts (although these are back now)

johntomjoe":bfggmflb said:
[quote

In that case, where all the Activators? Not aware of any other manufacturer using lead for the frame tubes! :)

it is misconstrued that the activator has a heavier than normal frame,its the forks that are over heavy,and there are many other steel bikes on rb that are just as heavy,most of the haters of raleigh and their mistakes have never even sat on an activator :roll: :roll:[/quote]

I did actually own one for a while, and it was ridiculously heavy!

azaro" I did actually own one for a while said:
yep very heavy,like i said mostly fork weight,and i said most of the ones dissing it,not ALL
i tried ally forks on mine and it ended up as 16 kg the same as my workmates kona fire mountain :LOL:

FMJ":21kvq91n said:
I have to agree with andrewl. The never well received bolt on rear composite hardtail died rather abruptly, never to return. Richard Cunningham made Mantis XCRs/Flying Vs for a number of years. Fisher CR-7 and Nishiki Alien only 3 (and those were Richard Cunningham designed/built) and the GT Xizang, which was a one year flash in the pan dreamt up by Maurice Lavoy.

So I'll throw mine to the wolves.

Xfin.jpg

When I got the bike it had never been ridden. It get's ridden now.

autumn.jpg

Build thread:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150639&highlight=
Titanium frame with a steel back end? Yup; it's in!

yeti-man":1b8mfa0y said:
Botm this month skidded right off the track in to the ditch...

it's pulling a big tarmac skid, on a nos white porc, of anal retention.

I'd say it's the most entertaining, 10 pages so far have had me in tears of laughter..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back