Yeti-mans Ritchey drop bar project (finished!)

I'm never sure about these sort of builds and so far have chickened out of committing a frame to one.

Is the point to have the drop section of the bars at the same level as they would be with flat bars, and then all controls in easy reach? (ie raised stem, flared bar and command shifters.)

Or is it to achieve a super aggressive cool as road racer position?

Or do people just end up cruising these things by riding the brake hoods with the drops used infrequently?

Seems people usually make a go of it with what they have (then get perturbed when others offer advice on positioning).

I'd say for a capable off-road drop set up, one should aim to get the hand positions at the hoods and in the drops at about equivalent to what they would be with a flat bar. Otherwise you're pretty far over the front. If it is a "drop bar mtb" for riding on the road, perhaps that doesn't matter so much. But generally, a shorter, higher stem is a better bet for converting most mtb frames for use in a dirt drop set up. YMMV.

doctor-bond":4n055fmo said:
Is the point to have the drop section of the bars at the same level as they would be with flat bars, and then all controls in easy reach? (ie raised stem, flared bar and command shifters.)

The above is correct. But don't tell that to yeti-man/digilux, he'll get upset about it.

I got the bar end shifters today and just had to finish (preliminary build though!). Did a test run with the kids and the initial feeling was pretty good. Still need some tweaking and adjustment but I am as you probably know pretty satisfied so fare. I am very impressed with the shifting performance of the Ultegra bar end shifters. First the front shifter (left) has a good Suntour micro index shift feel to it, and the rear shifter (right) has a precise and chrisp 8 speed index shift - all in all better than the XTII thumb shifters. Still have to take it out in the woods for a proper test before the full final verdict.

I changed the Shimano XT cantilevers for a Campa Record OR set. The Campa is far better both braking performance but also service and adjustment. Yes I know I have not wrapped the bar tape around the shifter cables.

7164061825_cf5ef2387f_b.jpg

7349272548_f686129b5d_b.jpg

7349271890_5a2c0e42cf_b.jpg

7349271666_008839f69c_c.jpg

7349271446_597c71712d_c.jpg

This is awesome, convinced me to make an urban beater when funds and space allow :D

Do you notice the difference in speed when going into the drops like on a road bike? Or less of a difference, let us know how the handling is off road with the drops!!

I'd be tempted to use cross top levers as well, do you have to go up a size or 2 for greater control than a road bike?

One last question, do you use specific off road bars or are road ones fine?

Hello fellow retro friends :)

Today I had my first long test ride with my drop bar Ritchey. The over all initial verdict was that this was a success. And the longer in to the test ride I came the better the feeling became. On the single tracks and special the more technical croxes I feelt a bit uncomfortable in relation to how I ride the same trail with my other bikes. The Yeti ASR SL just float over and through in a straight line. The Ritchey is more back to the roots. But on the grave roads I was realy hammering and realy feelt lige hamering on my road bikes. A great feeling. Regarding the long and whineing road about my project, I can realy understand the JT setup seeing it from a road bike point of wiew. The Cunningham setup requires a hole different frame design and geometry. The Cunningham bikes with drop bars have a sloping toptube etc giving the rider a totaly different riding position. I cant see that any of these styles is the one and only right drop bar style. I like the JT style, and will build a cunningham replika to tyr that style also.

Edit: BTW I swapped the low quality Shimano XTII rear derailleur with the best derailleur ever - the Mavic 845.

7172993749_c80da1fda1_b.jpg

7172991395_4cea4bd236_b.jpg

7358207492_7e3e018bfc_b.jpg

Back