should i stay or should i go?!! honesty required! interview!

I see work as a means to an end - simply something I do that allows me to have the money to do the stuff I want outside of work. I've certainly always been wary of doing something I enjoy in my free time as a job as you just end up getting hacked off with it...

Don't stress about the buying a house part, and mortgages certainly aren't equal to rents at the mo! Place me and the OH live in costs around £400 less a month to rent than it would if we had a mortgage on it... ;)

You can always go back to working with bikes, so I say give it a shot, especially if it gives you more time to ride...!

Mortgages these days are a fair bit more than renting IMO, if i was to rent my house it would be around £700 instead of the £1200 it is now :evil:
I say go for it, but leave on good terms ;) Money brings nice things, and although its true what they say "no matter how much you earn it'll will never be enough" There is no point thinking like that, other wise you we would never better ourselves :roll:
It sounds to me like you can't afford to not take it, after all with the way prices for everything are rising we all need more :D
Now that reminds me where's my bloody payrise :twisted:

Take the new job :) I've been in and out of the petrochemical industry all my working life and they really look after you.

There's obviously going to be new stresses but your going to get that in every job and once you've done shift work for a while you'll never want to go back to days :shock:

You get to go out on the trails when everyone else is in work :) there's nothing like bombing around your local trails on a midweek morning and not seeing another soul :)

Plus on top of your wages and bonuses you'll more than likely get share options where they double whatever shares you buy and it soon adds up :) I bought my first house outright with cash from share options :)

If your asking,

you obviously just needed a nod from us lot even though you've made up your mind, New job sounds like the best way to go - OR find a Rich bird in the pub and settle down with her daddies millions :D but we all know which one is the realistic option/most likely to happen.

As for might hate it - Most of us hate our jobs anyway - you get over it when you see better money coming in ;)

take the job! i was in a similar position,bike shop for 11 years,shit pay.now a tech in a huge plant earning lots of money and loving every minute of it.the thought of working with the public again churns my stomach! do it :)

Agreed - take the job dude. It's an offer you just can't turn down. If your heart is in bikes (which it obviously is) then just think, you'll be able to afford more bike stuff, you'll work with fellow bike enthusiasts - and out of every 8 days you'll have 1 days rest then 3 possible cycling days to look forward to!

I only say this because you said that if it didn't work out you could always get similar employment in the trade, so as long as you have a safety net, i'd personally go for it mate.. Just wish I was in that position!

Good luck ;)

I quit a successful career in management to become an engineer. I've gone from having lots of responsibility and worries about budgets, staff, sales targets etc to no responsibilities at all. I still haev a mortgage and I'm happier. Don't know if that helps? :)

IME its very easy to regret NOT doing something, but actually quite hard to regret ACTUALLY doing something - particularly when changing jobs.

You can analyse anything to death and get whatever answer you want. Go with gut feel. Sounds from your mail the decision is made. You already sent a CV once.
Best you get it updated and checked, and make sure you get that job now.

:D

cheers guys this is all good feedback.

my mate is sort of queue jumping me as far as the job goes, the guy that is retiring needs to be replaced asap and my mate recommended me for the job even though my cv is already there in the building (generally chucked the cv in) but the actual shift manager gets more of a say so of who he gets on his shift etc. my updated cv is going to him tomorrow evening at his (shift managers) house at his request and i have to call him the next day to sort the interview out.

i think i will take it if it is formally offered, like i said earlier it is not the money speciffically that i want, i just want not to have to worry about lack of it.

i really appreciate the comments, it helps to know what other people would do. :D

Working in the trade = Great fun. I loved it
Out of the trade = More fun! I get paid a bucketload more, I work a lot less and can ride a lot more on much nicer bikes!

So, take the new job!

Back