Brake Upgrade: Long Drop Dual Pivot or Centre Pull?

bm0p700f":2m3c7pu5 said:
Miche performance are fine brakes I have them to.

If you need a longer drop like needed on some forks then weinmean did brakes with up to 70 oddmm drop and I am sure there is a tektro brake with similar drop available new.

Cednterpulls are O.K, just finished fixing an old Falcon up today and iot has centre pulls and tyhey are quite effective.

Just been browsing your website, after seeing that you are in Suffolk too.

I don't get out that way much: I ride to the North and East of Ipswich mostly; however, now I've got an excuse I'll head out your way and say hello (put the kettle on).

hey cycle clinic :D
im in sudbury never knew of you before now
i am in the process of repainting a recently aquired moulton apb
not quite as easy as repainting a normal type bike with all the tiny little tubes
dave

If it's just an upgrade in braking power that you're after then I'd recommend going for modern brake blocks and aero levers first (if you haven't already done so. My experiences with this are briefly described here. Sheldon Brown also reckons that they are worth upgrading. If, later on, you decide that you need better brake calipers as well, then you'll have some lovely new levers and block to use them with!

flimflam_machine":2oenbs4c said:
If it's just an upgrade in braking power that you're after then I'd recommend going for modern brake blocks and aero levers first (if you haven't already done so. My experiences with this are briefly described here. Sheldon Brown also reckons that they are worth upgrading. If, later on, you decide that you need better brake calipers as well, then you'll have some lovely new levers and block to use them with!
Thanks, but I fitted cartridges when I got the bike and, as noted above, have just fitted aero levers.

As well as the notable flex in the calipers, I'm fed up with not being able to centre them (or if I do they don't stay that way).

I'm going to give long drop Miche Performance calipers a go: they are only advertised as being 57mm, but they've been measured by a couple of people who have them, and they are close enough to 65mm for me to gamble £20 on.

Hi
When I was upgrading the brakes on my Dawes Lightning, I measured the brake drop at 65mm as well - tried out the Miches and sure enough they were too small, at the back IIRC. So long as you dont get them marked when trying for size, you can send them back !

Went for the tektro long drops r556 nutted, and they are very good, actually give much better braking than the Miches that I now have on a Genesis Equilibrium. I dont think the Miches have the best pads presumably to make that price

Back