Ti itch... well scratched!

Arran

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've wanted a Ti bike ever since I befriended a couple of Yanks from Cali who were cycle touring aroud NZ back in ~ '93. I remember the Guys & their bikes like it was yesterday! Jim rode a gorgeous '89 Merlin Mtn resplendant in Suntour XC-Pro with a Ritchey unicrown fork. Joe rode a brand spanking Litespeed, draped in the first M900 groupset i'd seen & a Manitou II! Being a wide-eyed 17 year old I was in awe of the Guys' bikes.

Nearly 20 years later, I still hadn't come into posession of a Ti bike in spite of the fact that i've now owned over 100 bikes! This situation had to be remedied... Enter my 'experiment' with purchasing from a Chinese bicycle manufacturer. After some negotiation, 'too & fro' & a bit of product design, i've taken posession of not one but two new Ti frames & an impessive list of Ti add-ons!

1) Ti MTB hardtail frame:

I decided to go for a classic Ti frame. Compact geometry, standard headtube & B/B. This will be an M970/975 build with thumbies. Ti bars, pillar, skewers etc:

mtb1.jpg

mtb2.jpg

mtb7.jpg

mtb3.jpg

2) Ti Road frame:

Following the same principle as the MTB frame, i've opted for standard headtube & B/B. Semi-compact geometry on this one. 7900 DA build:

road1.jpg

road22.jpg

road13.jpg

road5.jpg

road4.jpg

3) Custom designed Ti Unicrown (my salute to the Accutrax :) ):

I went through a few design revisions before arriving at the design of this fork. Can't wait to see how it rides! 430mm axle to crown, 45mm offset.

fork1.jpg
fork4.jpg

fork2.jpg

fork3.jpg

fork5.jpg

forkweight.jpg

4) Ti 31.8 x 680mm flatbar:

Wide is good. :)

bar2.jpg

bar3.jpg

5) Ti seatpillar (for the MTB):

This is an absolute work of art!

post5.jpg

post1.jpg

post2.jpg

post3.jpg

post4.jpg

6) Ti 'windup' skewers:

A bit of bling to finish the builds off. ;)

skewer1.jpg

skewer2.jpg

I've got a busy long-weekend this weekend. :D

Very nice :) I've also an itch to scratch, so I'll be watching with interest!

the only thing i can think of adding at this point is "woah".

watching with a lot of interest

Lovely rigid frame. Lovely tasty parts to dress the frame with :cool: :cool: :cool:

One down...

Here's a few pics of the freshly finished Roadie:

rb1.jpg

rb2.jpg

rb5.jpg

rb7.jpg

rb8.jpg

I have some nice superlight 20mm profile carbon clincher rims on the way to mate to some nice hubs I have. Should look the part on this build... and strip off a kilo...

great projects! that ti accutrax tribute ( :)) looks great. glad you're chainging the wheels of the roadbike. I never liked those roval wheels.

what Chinese manufacturer made this for you? how is the warranty on the products?

Back