Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore, M591-SGS
Cassette: Shimano HG-61, 9-speed 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-34t
Chain: Shimano XTR
Cranks: Surly Mr. Whirly Offset Double, 22/36t
Bottom Bracket: Hope (red)
Pedals: nukeproof electron

Hub Skewers: XT
Rims: Surly Clown Shoes, Single wall aluminum
Hubs: F- surly 135mm R- Hope pro evo 2 (red)
Tyres: Surly Big Fat Larry, 26 x 4.7" 120tpi

Saddle: Specialized BG 145grams
Seatpost: Moots cinch layback, 27.2mm
Seatpost Binder: Hope (red)

Weight: best 35.3 lbs as of 22/6/12

complete current costs to date:

bike £2,025 (posted)

extras:

hope BB £90
brake upgrade £76.08
bars £148.85 (including custom charges)
post £268.88 (including custom charges)
grips £11.05
seatclamp £18.79
saddle £55.84
chainstay protector £6.65
spare tube £13.59
cages £19.14
crudcatcher £6.99
pedals £32
surly nate tires x4 £359.96
ergons £24.99
hope pro evo 2 rear hub £145
xtr chain £34.99
spokes £20.80
PDW daves fatbike fenders F&R £20

repairs, labour and bits and bobs to date:

£127.85

total: £3,476.45

Salty,

A big thanks for all your work on this thread, it's a testament to you that I have no real interest in the Fat Bike scene but religiously read your threads.

Your enthusiasm shines through.

Keep it up please Sir!

James.

Thanks, it's like a little project this thread, encouraging me to enjoy my bike more, rather than chop and change like I used to do far too often!

I'm recording every single mile and £££ spent, even down to stickers or a gear cable, to see what I actually do with my money too.

Quite scary so far seeing as its only 5 months old, but the bike hasn't needed anything bar a BB and front mech cable, the rest is just pure upgrades or just 'wants'

:? Yeah fat rubber isn't cheap I'm afraid, tires average £80-110!!!

The bikes are built around them however, so pretty important.

Soon as they release some chunkier 4.7" rubber I will be buying another pair :oops:

Bike is in dry dock this week, getting the rear hub serviced when I get a chance, no riding since Sunday as its been a hectic week at work, soon as I'm sorted the miles will be racking up :cool:

ChrisR":3kz9wjst said:
It's nuts, but at the same time looks immense fun!

Looks like you're thoroughly enjoying it.

yeah, giving the list of bikes i have owned, fatbikes give me the biggest joy to ride....though mines in for a rear hub service and wont be ready for 12 days, thats the worst part, not having it there ready to go!

good job im busy at work to occupy myself.

Finally got the rear wheel back from LBS yesterday after 12 days away, only getting rear hub serviced but due to me losing tools and having no time, I let them do it.

Rear wheel wasn't sounding quite right, just something I noticed, thought it was the bearings after almost 800 miles of sea, sand, water, mud and everything else the bike tackles!

Turned out bearings were fine and still greased up, no issues at all, but peace of mind for £15 is fine with me.

Wasted no time in doing my regular local loop in warm evening sun...

a7e811b4.jpg

I am thinking of sticking my trusty brooks saddle on the hybrid and using the fatbike during these wet days we are getting, spending less on bikes this summer if I can help it, just don't want to ruin parts.

Been raining far too much so decided to swap my trusty brooks saddle with my 2nd favourite on the hybrid...guess I can live with it if it means less worry and maintenance on my regular little rides I do.

75% the comfort of the brooks but about 400grams lighter at 145grams!

8348dcd6.jpg

Specialized BG model from my old Cannondale hooligan 1....

Oh and I weighed the fatty today and recorded its lightest ever weight of 35.3lbs :LOL: still not far off BSOs you get from certain stores ;)

:shock: how much rain are we having lately......never mind.

half day at work today, so wanted to get out in the mild damp day regardless of the weather.

swapped my saddle and decided to visit the town moor, sort of a countryside within a city place, popular with joggers and cows and the like, but also the site for the annual huge hoppings fair comes once a year.....currently sat idle due to the boggy ground.

moonlander loved it though, climbed the steep cow hills and took some nice shots, and re tracing my route through town back to the quayside, the tall ship training vessel was on its way out to sea ;)

4aa07117.jpg

5e53b641.jpg

37dbffdc.jpg

8ec0a24f.jpg

44b38f78.jpg

dfe308e9.jpg

f5d31998.jpg

1455e220.jpg

Back