Crank bros headsets, any good?

Dead Rats":1ziiq2rc said:
I only did fairly light XC with mine, it went a bit rusty and kept coming loose :eek:

Hmm, im confused now haha.

I guess hope wins over most things.

Dead Rats":3tk0x61m said:
I only did fairly light XC with mine, it went a bit rusty and kept coming loose :eek:

Surely it coming loose is a stem problem or cups not pushed in etc, not a headset problem?

That said, i generally don't like cb stuff, i bought a pair of acid pedals and the bearing/axle design was poor. Distance between bearings very narrow, tiny bearings and to top it off, the bearings had lacquer in them, so i can only assume they lacquer them with the inner race installed. Lasted about 2 months before i had to engineer some sealed bearings and needle bearings.

mallott":3l89yg9b said:
Dead Rats":3l89yg9b said:

Surely it coming loose is a stem problem or cups not pushed in etc, not a headset problem?

That said, i generally don't like cb stuff, i bought a pair of acid pedals and the bearing/axle design was poor. Distance between bearings very narrow, tiny bearings and to top it off, the bearings had lacquer in them, so i can only assume they lacquer them with the inner race installed. Lasted about 2 months before i had to engineer some sealed bearings and needle bearings.

as far as I can remember the stem was a really nice Race Face Deus and I fitted the cups properly, they were a really tight fit IIRC :?

Bit the bullet and bought the DH one today.
Its not particularly low stack height and states DH so i'm hoping for bigger balls.
At £31 down from £80 i just couldn't stop myself any longer :LOL:

Plus its silver and red which is the right colour for the build :cool:

The crank bros dh headset?

Like this?:

I always stand by chris king for headsets. had the cb iodine on my work bike (from crc when it was cheap) 10-15 miles later i swapped the forks and the bottom bearings in the cup decided to make a massive bid for freedom all over the conservatory floor (angry missus) you really do get what you pay for. Just a note to all the replys about fitting etc, I am a qualified cycle mechanic of 15 years + ive got a chris king ive had on my stinky deelux, on-one gimp, pashley 24mhz, numerous bmx's and trials bikes, spooky bandwagon, santa cruz super 8 . . . . the list goes on, as does the chris king headset :LOL:

I kind of expected it for some reason. It gets some abuse. Will be having a looksee soon to see if i can solve it.

like i said ive had one for about 10 years (same bearings, same everything really?) have you faced your head tube ?

Back