80's road bike re-built with pics Finished.

Hi,

Well things have moved on slowly since I first posted about my frame in Nov 07. I thought about selling the whole lot for a while and then about breaking it up and ebaying the parts.
Then I thought about the single speed route.
In the meantime I've got a new roadbike and a new MTB. Then I just couldn't part with the old road bike....

I contacted the original builder Rick Powell, who is semi retired and he agreed to re-finish the frame for me. I went for a totally different colour scheme and had the rear triangle and forks chromed. - I'd grown out of the 80's pink colour scheme (don't think u can get the matching pink outer cable any more anyway...)

The bike is being built up with the components I had, and liked, from new. Including a shimano 600ax aero stem! Everything else is Campagnolo - mostly C-Record Delta. I've got a NOS turbo saddle and some of the period white Look pedals to go on....

Some pics to follow I'll put more on as it takes shape over the coming weeks - I'm chuffed with it so far!!!

DSC01419.jpg

DSC01426.jpg

DSC01425.jpg

DSC01423.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

DSC01431.jpg

That is already looking very classy indeed, very tasteful build and I bet it will ride beautifully

It looks great with the chrome ends and the blue. Just like a GIOS. Look forward to seeing it finished.

Powell

Thats going to be nice. Do it a favour and get rid of the Shi***o stem - it deserves a Cinelli or ITM quill.
Looking forward to more pics as it evolves.

To be honest, I rather like the quaintness of the 600 stem. Rather like the old XTR seatposts; a bit " bygone age " about them.

Thanks for all the comments :D :D

The shimano stem stays !!! :twisted: When you see it close up with no visible clamp bolts etc it's :cool: :cool:
I am a big Campagnolo / Cinelli fan but there's something about the shimano stem that doesn't jusify replacing it with Cinelli...

Got the wheels sorted today and the handle bars on - got some more pics that i'll put on tomorrow.

Thanks again for the comments hope to be out on it soon :D

Powell

Well, I have to disagree with the Shimano stem. Its the fly in the ointment if youre going Campagnolo for the rest of the groupset. Youve even got Campag dropouts!
Doesn't match the seatpin either. It would certainly be nice on a Shimano equipped Koga Miyata or something but its just not cutting it slotted into a Campag headset.
Trade it in on feeBay for a nice Cinelli Record - same enclosed clamp - if your into that kind of thing.

Back