Rear mech pulling the wrong way?

development_cycle":av2wisoz said:
So let me get this straight, what you're saying is that it is meant to shift the wrong way round? Shit, I 'd better check that the brake levers are on the right way round and that I don't have to pedal backwards before I take it out for a ride... WTF??

quite clearly the only thing backwards here is you - keep up with the times old man!!! :p (this is clearly a joke - please don't misinterpret my sarcasm/dry wit)

Simple really, the bottom lever shifts down instead of up. Think it was something to do with changing gear under stress. You tend to change to an easier gear when putting force through the gear system so this way lets the slack change for you. don't know if that makes sense but I know what I mean and I thought it worked well.

Thanks buddy, but on a serious note, this is all wrong, I didn't sign up for this.

The bike has M750 9 speed gear shifters, and an M960 rear mech, so are we saying that if I had shifters that were intended to run that rear mech it wouldn't feel quite so wrong? Or am I missing something?

I actualy quite like the rear mech, and as I am a retrohead and like my bikes to either be factory spec or at least period correct I'd lke to keep it, so what would the gear levers for these be like then? Do they only have one lever rather than two? If so that wouldn't feel quite so wrong as using the same old levers but with everything the other way around.

I have never really bothered with the gear display windows but these read the wrong gear pretty much all the time.

The shifters are identical. It's just that the mech works backwards. That's marketing. So you just have to press the other lever button. Just.:roll:
Now, if you have never swung a leg over a bike before that's logical.

Shimano gave a nice lunch to lots of cycle journos and they then wrote about how brilliant it was. Then we bought it and discovered it was pointless.

Shimano had the last laugh as they sold us RR mechs, and then sold us replacements. :LOL:

I hate Shimano for regularly solving problems that don't exist and making stuff needlessly obsolete. Stock up on 9 speed mechs now, 10 speed is completely incompatible.

The future lies in friction shifting. :cool:

That's true although my XTR shifters didn't have the silly window things so it was not an issue. Can't remember if I had to get rr shifters when I bought them. :?

development_cycle":hmar5rh1 said:
I wonder if they do to at least display the correct gear if nothing else

No, 9 will be 1 and 1 will be 9. Unless you have the special ones with the indicator labeled the other way.

Don't get me started on gear indicators. Another pointless addition of weight and complexity. If you don't have time to look down at the cassette, you don't have time to look at shifter pods.

Man I am GRUMPY today. Worked until 2am. :twisted:

Cheers guys, this brings in a whole new dimension for me. And I always thought that the RR mechs were the funny looking ones that looked like they had too many linkages? Shows what I know. I think I'll see how I get on with it first and then decide what to do.

Back