June 2012 BoTM 'Dead End Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tazio":u177v1x6 said:
I love the look of the Manitou and Marins with the fork rear bounce. It still makes total sense to me in my head.

It made sense to Harley Davidson back in 73, too. 2 years and 65 (broken) bikes later, it was history.

Scott%2075%20Harley.JPG

FMJ":20zdjvfk said:
Tazio":20zdjvfk said:
I love the look of the Manitou and Marins with the fork rear bounce. It still makes total sense to me in my head.

It made sense to Harley Davidson back in 73, too. 2 years and 65 (broken) bikes later, it was history.

Scott%2075%20Harley.JPG

At no point did I claim my head worked properly :D

kaiser":31psdyfj said:
johnnypie, please take off that light, point those bar ends down and connect the brakes up, then take another pic :)

What he said. ;)

al.

The Grisley is far too good to be considered as any sort of dead-end. And the bar ends look to be just the right angle to me. I really like it!

As to dead end as a concept, I don't know enough about the developmemt history of mtbs to be qualified to comment - but I guess the criteria is stuff that was simply not worth taking any further rather than just that which was replaced by better ideas. Quill stems/headsets not a dead end, but A-heads SO much better in engineering terms as to have rendered them obsolete at a stroke.

Interesting month. Here is my entry, Cannondale SE2000. Girvin Flex Stem, Force 40 braking, pivot that is WAY to high and rides like shite. Bad day glow graphics, I could go on and on.

Attachments

• IMG_3206s.jpg
    IMG_3206s.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_3688s.jpg
    IMG_3688s.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 252
To me am evolutionary dead end would have to be something that not only didn't make it to the present generation of bikes but also either:

Hasn't been accepted by most frame or parts manufacturers despite being around for a while or,
Was used widely at the time but only for a brief period.

So in summary, an idea that only saw one or two iterations. This way things like quill stems, lugs, and canti brakes won't count. Each of these saw wide use in the marketplace.

Case in point would be that Cannondale SE. Flex stem, rigid aluminum fork, and force 40 brakes were never really accepted or improved.

I have to agree with andrewl. The never well received bolt on rear composite hardtail died rather abruptly, never to return. Richard Cunningham made Mantis XCRs/Flying Vs for a number of years. Fisher CR-7 and Nishiki Alien only 3 (and those were Richard Cunningham designed/built) and the GT Xizang, which was a one year flash in the pan dreamt up by Maurice Lavoy.

So I'll throw mine to the wolves.

Xfin.jpg

When I got the bike it had never been ridden. It get's ridden now.

autumn.jpg

Build thread:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150639&highlight=

Thermoplastic carbon? I've de-retro'd mine a bit too much to qualify, I think, but I know there are a few out there in RB land... Definitely a dead end.

This thread subject has certainly got people talking.

IMO Trimble can't be included as the same people started making them in 2005-07

The frames could still be made if their was a will to do it :(

tintin40":7zu5ejs5 said:
IMO Trimble can't be included as the same people started making them in 2005-07

Only problem is its the same people making the same mistake. The fact that they've been banging their heads against the same brick wall for 25 years doesn't make it any less of a dead end...... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back