Threadless bottom bracket

AntonyPiper

Dirt Disciple
Has anyone else used a Threadless BB with success?
Have just bought second hand and BB has loosened after about 40 miles.
It's threadless so I'm assuming that threads are stripped. Most other bolts etc weren't particularly tight so am hoping that as I've now thread-locked and tightened it, that it will stay tight.
Any advice welcome, particularly of the 'it will be fine' or 'inexpensive tips' type... :)

I bought a frame with a Mavic threadless BB - refused to take it out as I'd suspect the threads are gone. It's been doing a great job for years.

Thanks. Cheap acor BB installed in a Cougar/Dolan frame so will hopefully hold tight and when bearings give out I'll get a better quality one.
Ant

I had an old mercian with a stripped fixed cup thread. Dave Yates did a "cut and weld" on it. Essentially, the bottom of the shell is cut and welded back up which decreases the overall diameter. New threads can then be cut. I only lost an inch of paint under the shell which was sorted by Dave meaning no respray required. I was then able to fit a standard campag fixed cup.

Thanks. Worth considering if the Threadless BB does not hold but the work would probably cost more than I paid for the entire bike. The frame is heat-treated 7005 (Cougar-Terry Dolan I think, no decals) with a mix of shimano 105, 600, campag front mech and suntour chainset.
Rides really nicely, really responsive but harsh compared to my old steel MTB I now use for commuting.
Anyway, thanks both for your advice.

Back