The scrapping of old bikes ! *****YIKES *****

Klein doing?
ein?

p7140179_849.jpg

p7140175_397.jpg

I am the Lord "I said"
"Yo soy el Señor He dicho, ein?"

Damn

Wish I was near you Chris because I would of had it off you, although my wife wouldnt be too pleased lol.

There are a couple of projects local to me that take old bikes and i am hoping to get involved in helping them out a bit. But this thing about people wanting only new stuff and £1000 carbon bikes is changing I think?

Some of the people that have had bikes off me only want a second hand bike to get about on because of the cost of new bikes and the fact that expensive ones get stolen. Plus the cheap £80 bikes that Halfords/Sports direct and supermarkets sell are what they are, cheap and fall apart.

I really saddens me that our society just discard good stuff, but now I am making use of peoples throw away attitude.

I got a Joe Murray Kona Lavadome with LX throughout for £20 from my tip some ytears back. Had very nice Mavic rims in excellent condition. Used it for a couple of years and wished I'd kept it tbh as I let it go for peanuts.
They don't seem to bothered about selling stuff direct at mine though when I saw a guy taking out a decent racer from the boot of his Landy I offered him a fiver saying the saddle was quite nice, they were a bit pissed off and said I couldn't do that.
I just said that as it wasn't in the skip it was feck all to do with them :LOL:

Does that mean I should set up outside the tip and stop people as they go in and ask if they have a bike? lol

I know, a sign outside the tip with my details on! or would that be illegal??

nehpets":3sjbcbdz said:
Does that mean I should set up outside the tip and stop people as they go in and ask if they have a bike? lol

I know, a sign outside the tip with my details on! or would that be illegal??

If you aren't on their land they can do squat about it, with any luck they would kick up a fuss. Then you call the local newspaper...get free publicity saying you are trying to help the environment by recycling, whilst they are scummy big business trying to destroy perfectly functional bikes which is far from environmentally friendly. (Try get your number in the newspaper whilst you are on) :twisted:

Just be careful you aren't trespassing wherever you set up and you should be fine.

Son's latest bike brought in for scrap by a chap who no longer wants it ! I know its not a road bike but give it time he'll find something decent.

Oh checkout the spoking !!

pavo006.jpg

nice snow flake spoking! it always pains me to think someone probably paid 200 quid for that bike at some point then decided to just scrap it. Alright its a bit rough but its probably fixable or usable by someone who just wants a bike for a to b.

Our whole society is a bit of a joke really.

i remember making trips to the tip and always keeping an eye out for bike bits. picked up some Mavics for 50p each :)
i worked on a farm next to an auction house years back and picked up a bike for a tenner, came with mavics, rock shock judys clubroost bars and magura HS33's - still have them :) and i still have the frame (Specialized Hardrock comp). gone are the days of picking this stuff up - all this paper work and policy has slowly crept into the smaller corners of society! they don't seem to want anyone making an easy buck for themselves these days! (except for maybe the ones who make the policies...)

Back