WARRIORS AND WARLORDS Chas Roberts & Keith Bontrager

Sometimes there is no need for colour advertising......

Bontrager advertising was very few and far between.....

But when there was.......

A picture could speak a thousand words.

:cool:

Attachments

• The Glory days of Global Fridge..JPG
    The Glory days of Global Fridge..JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,475
:cool: Awesome job buddy, I love the job you've done on the OR, its very unusual to see a Bontrager painted too, as you know, when new, they were powder coated quite thickly for durability. I really like the fact that due to the fact that the paint finish is thinner than the usual powder, the quality of the welds and gussets are much easier to see. There is very little about the build that I would change, and that's one of the first times I've been able to say that about a bike! In my opinion everything is just perfect apart from the brake levers (I'd go for all black SS5) and the fact that I'd have to have all the chainrings in black. Just fantastic though mate, keep up the good work!!

I want those forks!! :LOL:

benbonty":3n27z08v said:
:cool: Awesome job buddy, I love the job you've done on the OR, its very unusual to see a Bontrager painted too, as you know, when new, they were powder coated quite thickly for durability. I really like the fact that due to the fact that the paint finish is thinner than the usual powder, the quality of the welds and gussets are much easier to see. There is very little about the build that I would change, and that's one of the first times I've been able to say that about a bike! In my opinion everything is just perfect apart from the brake levers (I'd go for all black SS5) and the fact that I'd have to have all the chainrings in black. Just fantastic though mate, keep up the good work!!

I want those forks!! :LOL:

Im glad someone Noticed...!!! i have another one in blue with yellow decals that i was lucky enough to buy from a member here for really hard use, this one had been powdered twice in my time, and felt it was about time i built this particular frame with all the bits i had collected, sadly its still not there to be fair, as i am waiting on certain parts to arrive/be avaliable, brakes being the one of the main components.

And i have to agree with the rings whole heartedly.

p.s if a pair of forks come up i will let you know straight away.

cheers for taking the time to post with your thoughts mate, means a lot coming from you bud.

Respect.

the bonty looks superb, my 94 racelite is just about done,i will post up a pic when it,s complete.the respray looks great ,mine still has the original black powder,and the build has ended up blacker than johnny cash,s shirt :D

matthew71":1ycmabmm said:
the bonty looks superb, my 94 racelite is just about done,i will post up a pic when it,s complete.the respray looks great ,mine still has the original black powder,and the build has ended up blacker than johnny cash,s shirt :D

Cheers mate, When you have built it, feel free to add it, i shall look forward to seeing it.

:cool:

Attachments

• Built to withstand the Elements..JPG
    Built to withstand the Elements..JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,263
Re:

Nice post, Carl.

I’ve had a Bonty Race in the past and have a Ti in build for a while but I’ve recently bought a Bonty OR and Roberts Genius to go alongside my Dekerf and Yo Eddy. I’m intending to build them up to a similar mass using similar quality, but different parts so I can do a back to back ride and see how they compare. Ultimately I want a Dogs rather than a Genesis, and a Fuquay as well but I’m in no rush

The most intriguing bit of this thread for me is the >2lb mass difference. At a glance the components seem similar and the forks are the same. What do you think has made the biggest difference?

Cheers, Matt

Re: Re:

mheywoo1":24503tib said:
Nice post, Carl.

I’ve had a Bonty Race in the past and have a Ti in build for a while but I’ve recently bought a Bonty OR and Roberts Genius to go alongside my Dekerf and Yo Eddy. I’m intending to build them up to a similar mass using similar quality, but different parts so I can do a back to back ride and see how they compare. Ultimately I want a Dogs rather than a Genesis, and a Fuquay as well but I’m in no rush

The most intriguing bit of this thread for me is the >2lb mass difference. At a glance the components seem similar and the forks are the same. What do you think has made the biggest difference?

Cheers, Matt

Hey Matt.

I puzzled over it, bottom bracket weight, tyres, seat post, but i think the main difference despite the very small size difference was the frame, the Ultralight had a lot more time spent disposing of excess weight, internally with B/B, seat tube etc, and was a higher grade of butted steel too. I think the extra work was reflected in the end retail price as well, had the Bontrager not been imported i think the retail cost would have been far less expensive for the Bontrager than the Roberts, alas by the time the the importer got them into the country, add there margin etc, there was little difference in the end retail price between the two. Bontrager was built to be as indestructible as possible and for as long as possible at a price, even down to the powder coated paint finish. The Ultralight was an exercise in weight loss Vs Strength..., im still convinced it was this model that was the precursor that led to the development D.O.G.S B.O.L.O.X.

I cant remember now without looking, if it was N.T.I or Global Fridge that were importing the Bontrager brand at the time this model was available.

Back