kingroon

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Yo..

About to drivetrain the Bontrager and the word GoldTech came to me.. What happened to these guys? I remember it was high end "gold" plated cassette, chain, hubs [anything else?] and looked great.. Hard wearing stuff..

If anyone has any NOS stuff jus' lyin' around of course.. :LOL:

Goldtec are still going, their websites out there somewhere, same guys as do the betd stuff. They don't do the ti nitride cassettes anymore, which is a pity, but if you want one poshbikes can do one for you (although you'll be looking at £300!!)

Thanks pete_mcc, that PoshBikes Ti Cassette is pretty schmikko eh.. GBP320.. Triple Eesh.. :shock:

That's real Light Bikes kit..

They do the Nokon cables too!

Doesn't seem that Goldtec do chains any more?

I've had a set of the hubs - very nice things they were. Mine were a bit niche - 7spd freehub at the time everyone else was using 8spd, because it allowed the use of a dishless rear wheel - I think it was built for touring. I eventually had to accept I wasn't going to use it, and sold it on. Super-smooth bearings because they run on oil not grease.

I also had a road cassette NOS - sold it on eBay and made a whole load of money!

I remeber those gold cassettes - they were soo stylish.

I had a 97 Explosif in ornagy gold with blue decals. It had a blue king headset and blue middleburn hubs. They had a gold Goldtech cassette on a blue carrier in the bike shop I worked in and in the time it took for me to decide weather or not to use my 10%-off-trade discount I had, some idiot customer went and bought it. That was one of my biggest misses.

Goldtec cassette

Got one. Gold Ti Nitride coated sprockets on a blu ano spider. Shifting is fairly rubbash even with spotless sram esp transmission and funny bassworm thingy.

Somewhere in the loft, I have another, in a strange semi-roadie ratio, where the shifting was even worse - no spider so cogs flex a bit- tried with ESP and XTR, to no avail. Maybe some old XT thumbies set to friction, but that's about it.

SHOCK HORROR - got my bike down from the garage rafters, and noticed spots of corrosion on my lovely pace rigid forks. Cleaned / buffed 'em up as good as poss, but still gutted. They're not the really early RC30's with the chrome legs, but later ones with kinda satin finish cromo legs and nicer crown. Looks like the powder coaters for me at some point. Will try and get some piccies of the beast on here at some point.

Great tip when using Ti cassettes is that you need to get rid of your floating jockey at the top and replace it with a fixed one. Action-tec even supply new cassettes with a fixed jockey to get round this. I had a real bargain buy from a shop in the UK with a full Ti cassette that they said was 'useless' because it wouldn't shift and two customers had bought it and brought it straight back again, they sold it to me as a paperweight doodad for a fiver. One bullseye fixed jockey later and I had a perfect shifting Ti cassette! Worth a bash I reckon (otherwise I'll buy them off you just for the prettiness!)

Back