June 2012 BoTM 'Dead End Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this qualify?
A fork on the back, 2 rear shocks, 1.1/4" head tube and Easton Program Vari-lite tubing.

I humbly submit Phoenix. (this frame really has risen from the ashes.)

Build; http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

93manitoufs013.jpg

Ductape":3n55un5i said:
andrewl":3n55un5i said:
Off road tandems - I think it would be easy to argue these are a dead end especially if you've tried tight single track...

I absolutely love my off road tandem. More laughs per mile than any other bike I have owned.

Good comments.....

They are a great laugh if you are captain but I found being stroker pretty scary at times - probably little wonder most off road tandems I know of are unridden or ridden without a stroker. And thus as a bike which by its own design doesn't get ridden two up could be considered a bit of a dead end - yes I know its very subjective ;)

botm

Can i enter this Grisley its bonded and its purple (purple having went the way of BSO's and the dodo) also features bar ends that bolt inside the handlebars not now done i hope as they are a pain (please excuse the fact i didn't reattach the brakes after removing the wheels while cleaning DOH!!)

DSCF1577.jpg

DSCF1578.jpg

Well that Grisley is everything I don't like in my Retrobikes!

There Isn't a single component I would have on any of my bikes!

It's wrong on every level to me!

It looks ace mate, great work. :cool: :cool: :cool:

al. :D

johnnypie, please take off that light, point those bar ends down and connect the brakes up, then take another pic :)

If a design was made using the best available technology of the time, then I can't see being a great example of a 'dead end.' Somewhere in this tread someone mentioned elastomer forks... which worked. Pretty well relatively speaking. They were only phased out when better technology became available... not because the design was flawed.

My point is, if something worked as intended, then I can't see that being a 'dead end.'

Examples of 'dead end' designs:

Elastomer hubs
gel saddles
"Welded Carbon Fiber"
Boralyn
Dia Compe Disc Brake

The only bike in this whole thread I see hitting the mark is the Cannondale. Sorry Ductape!

kaiser":2rc13hli said:
johnnypie, please take off that light, point those bar ends down and connect the brakes up, then take another pic :)

ah the light has a purpose keeps me alive at night should really get a front one as well :LOL:

yes my bad on the brakes new picture required really didn't expect to be entering BOTM TBH would have taken the time and fitted the Middleburns and DX pedals i have for her if i had planned it oh and the biscuit Psycho's.
honestly didn't think the bar ends were that bad look a little high perhaps, point taken mate.

al":2z90m1nd said:
Well that Grisley is everything I don't like in my Retrobikes!

There Isn't a single component I would have on any of my bikes!

It's wrong on every level to me!

It looks ace mate, great work. :cool: :cool: :cool:

al. :D

cheers mate, made me chuckle

I love the look of the Manitou and Marins with the fork rear bounce. It still makes total sense to me in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back