June 2012 BoTM 'Dead End Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
RichieB":3031kmiu said:
Can someone can tell my how an elevated chainstay monocoque carbon-fibreglass near 30lb full rigid bike is NOT a "Dead End" design?

Because that bike was an early step on the way to the very many carbon monococque frames available today. Similar deal with the Schwinn -- very few of its features exist on modern MTBs (although the geometry's not far off...) but there's a clear line of development from there to here.

A proper dead-end is just that -- it stops and never comes back and doesn't develop into something else (except in the sense of pushing designers along a different path). The Disk Drive example is a good one (of a component, not a bike). I think Slingshots count too, TBH -- yes, they still make them, but crucially no-one else does.

I think we need to see some oddballs from the "Burgess Shale" early 90s period of FS design, when people were just trying anything that came to mind. Checker Pig hoop springs, Merlin air bladders, ATZ forks.

Suprised not to see more early full suss bikes on here so far. Tons of designs were tried but then binned. Most full suss bikes these days seem to be one of a couple of designs.

What about a Manitou fs or one of those ti Merlins that use the ti as the fs?

Think rigid e-stay should defo qualify. Only seems to be bso's that use the design now, and that's only to make the bike look different.

hollister":4o9nf50n said:
[meh, however you wanna justify it. I was hoping/expecting to see a bunch of oddballs, not a buncha normal looking bikes with a dated component here or there

Don't hate the playa hate the game.......

The mystery machine has no brake cables, is that how you ride it?

If that is the case, you may soon understand what dead end really means with a numb backside from crashing...

wait is this a scooter?

there's no chain either...

there are no designs that are really dead ended, just evolutionary forms, in various states of flux...

they still have wheels, have some form of functionality, and always lead to the development of something new and improved...

How bout that walmart 32" wheel MTB?

Thought this might be interesting. Some of the entries thus far may have to be discussed.

As others have pointed out we're after evolutionary dead ends.

John":2fkelgeo said:
Thought this might be interesting. Some of the entries thus far may have to be discussed.

As others have pointed out we're after evolutionary dead ends.

My feelings won't be hurt if you remove mine...
I look forward to some actual dialogue....

Here:

Drum brakes don't have a place in modern mountainbiking. They were put to rest early with lighter cantilevers, V brakes and eventualy disc brakes. Possibly a good idea on a Toronto winter commuter but not real mountainbiking. If you disagree, I look forward to hearing your rebuttal.

Double top tubes (or some variation of like lets say a first Gen Breezer) were a poor design that added unneeded weight with the onset of higher quality metals.

Saddle suspension. Certainly if you are going to the store in Amsterdam and may drop the occasional curb, but it is dead as far as mountainbiking goes. Am I wrong? Even the suspension seatpost doesn't have a place ... Wonderful examples of obsolete technology.

Coaster brake? Enough said....

Look forward to some articulate rebuttals.

Research material:

http://www.konaworld.com/

http://www.specialized.com/

http://www.trekbikes.com/worldwide

Ductape":21b7rhi3 said:
Double top tubes (or some variation of like lets say a first Gen Breezer) were a poor design that added unneeded weight with the onset of higher quality metals.
Agree! I would enter this bike on that basis (alone), except obviously the previous owner corrected the "dead-end". Maybe the curved seatpost?

7160277301_d9736c6e33_b.jpg

John":21b7rhi3 said:
Thought this might be interesting.
I have to say, this is one of the less well-conceived (and executed so far) ideas for a "special" month. Fewer special months would probably be better and K.I.S.S.!: Simple, easy to understand things like a single-brand or feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back