Finished - Roberts Mystery Bike

Giom6":28f6iaog said:
Nice one Neil, looks amazing!
That colour is superb.

I'm waiting to hear from colour-tech as to when my Genesis is ready. Can't wait to get that one going.

Thanks Gio, I'm really not sure if mine is a White Spider, a Genesis, a Black Leopard, a Peters Pecker or what!

For sure it is a Roberts, there are too many clues to it lineage, but as CR could only confirm that the frame number was (possibly) one of theirs and that the frame corresponding to that number was made of Columbus tubing, I can't be sure exactly what it is. They did ask me to e-mail some photo's, which I did, but three subsequent phone conversations have shed no further light, not that I'm really that bothered, as it is such a nice frame, and so light.

Hope you have better luck with Colour Tech than I'm having with Chas, as I really have no idea when I'll see my DB again, hence the need to console myself with this one.

Carl would be the man to ask, he seems to know more than Chas does :)

I'm hoping to get the frame/forks back in a month or so but need to get a headset to them first. I just can't decide what to use...its a pain the in the proverbial!!

Sorry you're having no luck with the DB, I'm sure you'll get it back in no time.
I've still got to phone them about my stems but by the sounds of it I won't get them any time soon, so I better get on with it.

Lovely build though mate and it'll be interesting to see how she rides compared to the DB.

The DBs in the queue for the top tube to be replaced, so things are moving. But they are stacked with work (which has got to be a good thing), so I just have to wait my turn.

I'm happy with that, it's not like it's my only bike :oops:

Carl thinks mine is a WS, which reminds me, I'm due to give CR a ring.

Regarding headsets: The one in the DB will be a Chris King. This one has a really nice Campag headset.

Nice to know its in the queue - movement at least!

I've got an old Campag Centaur headset all packaged waiting to go, but as it looked like the Genesis had XT stuff on it I don't know if I should try and find an 1" version, or just go Campag.

Decision decisions!!!

I'm not that much of a purest.

This one had the headset fitted, so it stayed. The rest of the bike is a mish mash of ancient and modern, with the theme being light in weight and grey, silver or black in colour.

Spec:

Frame: 1990 Roberts. White Spider?

Fork: Roberts / Project2

Headset: Campag
Stem: Specialized 1” quill
Handlebar: X-Lite straight titanium
Grips: Specialized, cut down

Brakes: Avid SD7
Brake Levers: Avid SD7
Shifters: SRAM Attack 3 X 9
Front Derailleur: XTR M901
Rear Derailleur: XTR M900
Cassette: SRAM PG970
Chain: SRAM PC971
Chainset: M730/SG rings
Pedals: Time Atac
Bottom Bracket: Shimano, that I had in stock

Rims: Gipiemme MX-treme wheels - 28 spokes F&R
Hubs: Gipiemme
QRs: Shimano
Tyres: Pararacer Trailraker 2.1

Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatpost: USE
Seatpost Binder: N/A

Weight: 10.8 kg or 23.7lbs in old money

First chance I've had to ride it came yesterday evening. Just a quick 10k on / off road dash, but it gave me the first impressions.

On road, a bit twitchy, not helped by slightly narrower bars than I'm used to. The forks are definitely more compliant than the P2's I have on the Yates, and I was taking a lot less of the knocks and bumps. It is also light and fast, despite the seat post being a touch low.

Off road: Tracks like it's on rails, and climbs like a mountain goat. More grip, on the same track, tyres and conditions than the Yates, which I put down to a slightly further back position, even when standing.

So, first impression: Light, fast with a good solid feel. Not as lively as the Yates, more like my Zaskar on a diet.

Into the woods at the weekend, for a real good try out :twisted:

EDIT: Just to add the XTR / SRAM 9 speed combo works like a charm, and the Attack Shifters are excellent, worth every (discounted) penny.

Back