straightening axles

chambo34

Retro Guru
I recently got two rear wheels both 1950's, one is a small flange BH Airlite with a solid axle and the other a Powell large flange again with a solid? axle but with a Tecalmit grease nipple fitted to one end of the axle..........both the axles are a little bit bent/out of true...is it possible to safely straighten these?

I've never had success with straightening axles. Even if you can use a method to try and persuade them straight, you will always have a degree of bend on them. The axles will also be weaker due to the bend (typically , if the bend is very noticeable, then they are almost at snapping point anyway).

Also bear in mind that a bent axle causes uneven cup and cone wear, so even if the axle straightens, you will have uneven wear on the cones (which may be replaceable) but you will also have uneven wear on the cups (which may not be replaceable).

Its always safer to get a compatible threaded axle.

Hmm I wondered if that would work it was in their way back from my apprentice days...sadly I no longer have access to those items and to be honest not sure I'd get it right?

...so, if you don't have the gear, an option is your local general engineers who DO have the gear and a hairy-arsed apprentice with too much unbilled time on his hands... Its a 10 minute job at best and will save you hunting worldwide for replacements

I've not had a lot of success straightening them. Always just a little bit out. However, I've got them close, and on a bike you don't do too many miles on they eventually wear back into true, sooner if it's already worn through the case hardening on the surface.

Back