Handpainting with wet paint

grumpycommuter

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Before i go charging off to Halfords for paint, can anyone recommend any products? I've just inherited a beautifully rusted, crusty early 70's Raleigh which deserves to be loved, so i fancy having a go with a brush :roll:

Piccys to follow soon.

karl

hammerite do a good range of colours and finishes these days but not sure its as good as it use to be .

hammerite paint is complete rubbish compared to how it used to be i just painted my steel car wheels it was crap to use
ti get it to lay down you have to thin it down with white spirit
then it wont protect against rust as weel i used black for my car wheels
i have found that silver or gold seems to work beter but its still a complete knightmare if you dont care how it looks go for it but if you want it to look reasonable then dont bother unless you plan to paint let dry flat it with wet and dry paint again flat back paint again three or four coats at least
hammerite smooth spray paint works very good i did my ribble frame with it turned out muc better than i expected it to
its all about he preperation work
i am repainting a moulton spaceframe at the moment well tricky with all the little tiny bars

best paint is coachpaint use a very good quality brush also

rocky ridge":1gitpnzi said:
hammerite paint is complete rubbish compared to how it used to be i just painted my steel car wheels it was crap to use
ti get it to lay down you have to thin it down with white spirit
then it wont protect against rust as weel i used black for my car wheels
i have found that silver or gold seems to work beter but its still a complete knightmare if you dont care how it looks go for it but if you want it to look reasonable then dont bother unless you plan to paint let dry flat it with wet and dry paint again flat back paint again three or four coats at least
hammerite smooth spray paint works very good i did my ribble frame with it turned out muc better than i expected it to
its all about he preperation work
i am repainting a moulton spaceframe at the moment well tricky with all the little tiny bars

best paint is coachpaint use a very good quality brush also

I quite like the gloopyness of hammerite, that said buy hammerite in a can...because brush work is a complete hassle.

Also a side note ebay is strangely good for paint, depends what colour you want but there are bargains to be had and shipping tends to be fast. You'll save a load over halfrauds prices...and there are various semi pro and pro paints on there that give a much better finish than some of the usual rattle can varietes.

^ I've painted a frame with Rustoleum, thinned down and applied with a roller. If you do enough wetsanding and polishing, it looks as good as powdercoat.

People paint their cars using the same technique. I think this is the original website:
http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master ... paint.html

Just google 'Rustoleum paint job' and there are loads of articles about it.

frinkmakesyouthink":38vv30an said:
^ I've painted a frame with Rustoleum, thinned down and applied with a roller. If you do enough wetsanding and polishing, it looks as good as powdercoat.

People paint their cars using the same technique. I think this is the original website:
http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master ... paint.html

Just google 'Rustoleum paint job' and there are loads of articles about it.

Yeah rustoleum = hammerite for those who don't know, its slightly different because the EU don't want us poisoning ourselves...but pretty much the same. There was a supplier of rustoleum in the uk at one point via mail order, a quick google should bring him up.

Yeah, I don't think Hammerite is quite as good as Rustoleum. I got mine by mail-order as you say. There are trade paints that are tougher than both - POR15 (aka powdercoat-in-a-can) products are well-regarded by classic car/classic motorbike people.

thanks for all the advice people :D

here is what i'm dealing with...the yellow, red and black are in reasonable order so i may mask them and paint just the white bits. The photos dont do the crustiness justice :LOL: First time ive come across Bocama lugs...very nice and chromey!

Attachments

• rsz_imgp2353.jpg
    rsz_imgp2353.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 756
  • rsz_imgp2356.jpg
    rsz_imgp2356.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 756
Back