New member in a quandary...

ChrisR

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Firstly hello, new to this forum but after some advice.

I used to be a keen MTB rider (you know when you're a teenager and can't drive so it makes sense!)... Anyway fast forward 10ish years and my size has increased (unfortunately) and I want to do something about it so getting back into the sport (spurred on by my 5 and 6 year old sons).

I currently own a

'98 orange O2 rigid (strawberry and cream) 20/21" which was my 'road' bike back in the day...

Well until I got...
'99 orange Msisle (one of the very early ones gusseted seat stays etc) at the time it was a limited run of black with silver stickers.. I built this up as a complete bike wasn't available.. Manitou x-vert (iirc), mavic 521, HS33s.

The O2 was donated to my step father for a while and was used a mere handful of times before taking up space.

Well now what do I do.. I want to commute and family ride with my boys plus some singletrack/trail riding so was considering selling the lot and buying a 120mm ish FS... but the more I think about it the more it seems a good idea to sell the O2 to someone who would enjoy it and rebuild the msisle with a more up to date spec... Discs, new forks, new wheels (the current ones are close to collapse through use/abuse).

Was looking at spending £1500 ish on a new bike so hopefully save some £££ too.

Opinions please?

Considering you've not ridden for so long, isnt it a bit mad to spunk a load on a new bike?

Plus it's a great excuse to rebuild an old friend. Why not post a could of pics and see what folks recommend?

I've not been here long and it does seem very friendly, but not to your wallet ;)

But I say rebuild.

Thanks for the response.

Well when I say not ridden for 10years I mean more along the lines of ridden occasionally but purely for transport not the joy of riding.

Took the msisle out earlier today and thoroughly enjoyed it!

The O2 is currently stored elsewhere but that will just be either sold complete or broken for retro goodies on here.

Id say keep them both and rebuild and buy another for the purposes you mentioned.

A bike for each type of riding. Buy from here and im sure you could get a few bikes inside £1500 each of decent quality.

Just dont cut your brake boss's off like that :roll: Go for a rebuild, always liked the look of those. You would only regret selling it when the new one didnt feel right.

Nice idea but space then becomes a serious issue.

Think the Msisle is going to get 'the treatment' for the time being.

poweredbypies":3ape4tga said:
Just dont cut your brake boss's off like that :roll: Go for a rebuild, always liked the look of those. You would only regret selling it when the new one didnt feel right.

I was a little shocked at the boss removal but does make it look cleaner... Is there a safe way to remove them or best to leave well alone?

Grab an 80mm fork and stick it on the O2!

I have one with an 80mm SID on it - it's a lovely frame - and probably my favourite ride.

Back