Cyclocross bikes.

Rampage

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
What sort of weight are they?
And what differences are there between mountain bikes? Apart from wheel size!
Do they use a road cassette?

Mine weighs around 20lb, but its not got amazing gear on it so could be lighter if i thew money at it.

Geometry wise more similar to a road bike than mtb, angles are a bit slacker and rear end has much more clarence for tyres and mud. The frames are a but stronger than a road frame too, and have canti bosses ofcourse.

cassette can be either mtb or road(if you use shimano ), but normally road and a road chainset with smaller rings, 39 / 44 is typical. All other gear its usually road too, even wheels. There are some specific cross parts out there but most folks just use road bits

I have seen retro mtbs used with drop bars, but they can't keep up

So really they are nothing like an mtb! More like a beefy road bike

Thanks, what sort of thickness are the tyres? How much tread do they have?
Just thinking about building up a CX bike, don't know why, just want to!
I'll be using Raleigh Torus frame.

I'll be using Raleigh Torus frame.

That'll be a drop-bar MTB rather than a CX, then :) CX bikes have 700c wheels. I put mine together from mostly second-hand bits/things from the shed (new rims/spokes/tyres though) for really quite cheap:

X0 by MikeDavis, on Flickr

Need to change the bars, though, they're not a very comfy shape really.

You can't use flat bars in national or international races. Even if you're not racing I don't know why you would -- you might as well just have an MTB with really thin tyres. It's the bars that make it special, in every way :)

Back