Budget steel weight weenie - Help me shave 500g

i'd like to stick with that chain set, but i might be sorting a deal on a sram red chainset - which comes in 30g under the current estimates including BB. I really need to find the quick bargains as i'm meant to be doing 500 miles on this bike in a month.

dont strip the foam off the saddle then. you'll rue everyone one of the 40g you save 100 times a mile after the first 20 or so....

Getting there - I've been shaving bits off and swapping bits on the OP list so that is the accurate estimate.

Should be at 8.5kg with tyres and tubes - still a bit heavier than I would like.

HenryWood":62ipg38k said:
Getting there - I've been shaving bits off and swapping bits on the OP list so that is the accurate estimate.

Should be at 8.5kg with tyres and tubes - still a bit heavier than I would like.

This isn't meant to sound flippant but if you've got a month to trim less than 500g off the weight you could lose that off your body unless you're already built like Bradley Wiggins.

My only other suggestion was to swap out the frame - my Kinesis winter frame at 1460g is way lighter than your Giant - but that is a bit flippant!

Are the 500 miles all in one day over big hills?

Mark.

Indeed, I got as far as the frame weight and wondered why it was the basis of a lightweight project.

You can shave 120 g for 10 quid or so by ditching that stem, make sure the chain is as short as can be, and maybe a lighter chain?

I'm 6'2'' and 65kg so i am not planning on losing weight - rather gaining a stone or so.

The miles are spread over a week, and based on the london to (almost) southampton i did on my fixed gear this thursday it should be manageable. The weight obsessiveness of this bike is mostly to annoy my brother - who is carbon mad - and also a personal challenge i set myself. I know 500g doesn't really make any difference in the saddle.

JeRkY":ciqp4kil said:
Indeed, I got as far as the frame weight and wondered why it was the basis of a lightweight project.

frame cost me 40 quid posted to my house so i want to use it - as i don't think its that much of an anchor

mallott":ciqp4kil said:
You can shave 120 g for 10 quid or so by ditching that stem, make sure the chain is as short as can be, and maybe a lighter chain?

any suggestions? I'm having a hard time finding quills listed with weights.

Ah sorry didn't know you were on a quill.

Live with the weight, rub it in when you whip the carbon addict on the climbs!

Back