June 2012 BoTM 'Dead End Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually - there are probably no evolutionary dead ends when it comes to bikes - everything seems to come round again at some point.

This could be the first BOTM with NO entries!

What about placing the shock in the top tube? I might have to dust off the Boulder this month!

GT Tachyon

Evolutionary dead end? Allow me to present the GT Tachyon

Tachyon35.jpg

Tachyon22.jpg

Designed to ride dirt in the morning. then, swap the tyres, slide the wheel back in the front dropouts, flip the stem down, and go for a road ride in the afternoon.

Dead ends:
* 700D wheels (587 bsd). Instead of using other similar wheel sizes (650B has a 584 bsd, 650A has a 590 bsd), GT decided to invent their own size.
* The fork has a sliding dropout so you can alter the mechanical trail for different handling.
* The stem is a Ahead style stem fitted to a double-ended quill and a normal threaded headset. So you can flip the stem.
* Suntour Command shifters came standard. Brifters took their place in history.

More info on Tachyons HERE (includes catalogue scan)
More photos of mine are HERE.

PS that two wheel drive bike of Oneschnark's is insane! Love it!

so this is....

So if we have to talk our way into submission, I will try my 1981 Ritchey Everest.

- Bullmoose bars - fork mount clamp - buh-bye

- Reynolds tubing for MTB - not used much

- Tandem fork crown - not done now

- Proprietary press fit BB - not for the MTB masses anymore

- Road parts on an MTB frame, campagnolo, TA, Huret, 126mm Phil Road hubs, and motorcycle grips, and brake levers - wouldn't consider it now.

- Cruiser Araya 7X rims - nope not now

Most of the things listed - are dead end, but would lead to the evolution of MTB specific parts and frames.

Thoughts?

Jim

Attachments

• ritchey full again.jpg
    ritchey full again.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 1,392
Re: so this is....

tvcreative":166i9mgz said:
So if we have to talk our way into submission, I will try my 1981 Ritchey Everest.

- Bullmoose bars - fork mount clamp - buh-bye

- Reynolds tubing for MTB - not used much

- Tandem fork crown - not done now

- Proprietary press fit BB - not for the MTB masses anymore

- Road parts on an MTB frame, campagnolo, TA, Huret, 126mm Phil Road hubs, and motorcycle grips, and brake levers - wouldn't consider it now.

- Cruiser Araya 7X rims - nope not now

Most of the things listed - are dead end, but would lead to the evolution of MTB specific parts and frames.

Thoughts?

Jim

A-head bullmooose still available

Reynolds tubing is still used all over the place

Press fit BB is now some sort of 'standard' (along with 160000 other BB 'standards')

You have entered pretty much what is a normal Retrobike!

Your Ritchey Everest is just stunning. :cool:

I know all months are very subjective, but this month has a great twist. I think all bikes with 'dead end' qualities should be judged on their own merits, however large or small they may be.

Keep em coming kids!!

al. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back