1989 Specialized Stumpjumper - an old flame rekindled

GingerSpeshster

Dirt Disciple
Evening, all!

Newbie here!

I have recently got back into MTB'ing after quite a few years out of the saddle.

I stumbled across RetroBike (which I think is brilliant!) whilst I was Googling for images and "for sale" ads of my first love, a 1989 Stumpjumper, which was stolen from college in 1991 by some low-life (yes, I was young and dumb to take it...). I raced it, toured it and basically lived on that Stumpy and was absolutely distraught when it got stolen. Luckily it was well insured and I replaced it with a 1992 Stumpjumper Comp, which I still have.

Fast forward to 2012... the MTB bug has bit hard again and I really got a craving to get my original Stumpy back, but could I find one...

Then, Easter Monday evening, I found one freshly posted on Craigslist. By chance or fate, work have an office out there so I managed to arrange for a colleague to buy it for me and then, by chance or fate again, he had a mate travelling to London early May, so he could bring it over. It's now here safe and sound and being loved. Funny how long-forgotten memories come flooding back...

Luckily I still have my pair of AME Iridium shades, so they have come out of retirement for some retro action!

Hope you enjoy the pic!

Attachments

• Copy of 2012_0531_184525.JPG
    Copy of 2012_0531_184525.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 1,794
  • Copy of 2012_0531_184556.JPG
    Copy of 2012_0531_184556.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 1,794
Many thanks for the welcome and the kind words!

The condition is staggering and I honestly have not done anything to it. The anodising on the front rim is hardly marked, so the original owner must have only ridden it a few times and only used the rear brake! From memory the anodising gets worn through pretty quick.

The ride is sublime and the hum from those Ground Controls is music to my ears. I keep going into the garage and staring at it!

Congratulations, great looking and great bike!

I have a beat and no decal verson of this bike that I find myself grabbing more often than not for lower hills single track rides. Just seems to fit well and the Deore components have been solid.

Attachments

• 89l.jpg
    89l.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,626
Back