1999 Zaskar LE rigid road based build

Twonks

Dirt Disciple
Not entirely retro I realise, but hopefully enough so to attract comments :)

After numerous builds and trying to sell the bike, it is now built as its going to stay.

Just been for a 13 mile road ride and it is certainly faster than I am.
Very quick and smooth gliding yet still quite forgiving on gravel ish paths, which is exactly what I want for my road ride into work. :)

Needs the front end lifting about an inch as the bars are too low, but all in all very impressed.

zaskarroad1.jpg

zaskarroad2.jpg

Frame: 1999 Zaskar LE cosmic Sunrise 18"
Forks: GT Cro-Mo
Bars: exotic alloy flat
Stem: Kore Lite
Headset: FSA XLII
Grips: Foam
Bar Ends: Yes

Front Brake Lever assy: Avid speed dial 1.9
Front Caliper: XTR V
Rear Brake Lever assy: Avid speed dial 1.9
Rear Caliper: XTR V

Shifters: LX 9Sp
Cables: XT
Front Mech: XT
Rear Mech: XTR M970

Seat: Flite Ti
Seat Post: easton ct2 carbon
Seat Post Clamp: integrated

Cranks: Aerozine XL12 carbon
Chainring(s): Aerozine 22,32,42
Chain: LX
Cassette: LX
Pedals: 520 spd
Bottom Bracket: Deore HTii

Front Wheel:
Rim: Old mavix X317
Spokes: DB
Hub: LX
Tube: yes
Tire: 1.95 City Jet

Back Wheel:
Rim: Mavic 317
Spokes: DB
Hub: LX
Tube: yes
Tire: 1.95 City jet

Weight: around 22lb

i did the same withone of my zaskar races after trying to seel it and couldnt bring myself to do it
so i converted it to rigid with some pqace rc31 forks and a single front chainring with some slim slick type tyres
man it really flys now as it weighs hardly anything with the pace forks on
i had some tri bars on it for a bit and went carbon racer hunting
so i now have three zaskars
a 2000 race new old stock frame i got for 60 quid bargain or what polished up and shiny
a 1998 race with pace rc31s skinny tyres and really flies
and a tiawan team race kenesis to beat up as i got it for 50 quid from a police auction and sold the crank for 60 quid
is yours the cosmic sunrise
nice naughy pic whos that then matey

Cosmic sunrise indeed.

I too couldn't bare selling it, as it was my first decent frame and bought brand new in 99. Before that I had a Pantera and a wrought iron 91 Timberline.

It is certainly quick. So much so that I stood up and powered up a slight incline in top gear. Nearly barfed at the top. Oops.

It's main function now is to get me fit and enable me to use the two other main mtbs to their potential.

Can't remember who the girl is, think it was a sticker from one of the mags in 2000.

i had a timberline weighed as much as a house but was tough as hell
i broke three pairs of forks on that frame but the frame was fine
dont make them as tough as that theese days

Nice one.

How do you plan to raise it? Looks like adding a few spacers below the stem is not an option anymore.
Riser bars probably won't suit the bike, but then again, sometimes form must follow function. A bar brace can hide most of the rise anyway.

Love those tyres, BTW. I have the amberwall version on 2 of my bikes and am considering getting the black ones for the other one.

I've got the CT2 high riser bar to match the seat post, but also want bar ends for road use. No way am I putting bar ends on risers though.

Might get a 17.5 degree stem or just live with it.

Also have a set of Mosso alloy forks with 20mm longer A2C, but feel they are too harsh for this bike.

I've moved the seat forwards an inch or so as it was right back, so will see how it rides on the same route tomorrow.

Agreed on the tyres. I initially had continental 1.25" things on, but it looked daft. The jets are heavy but suit my needs perfectly.

Bit of an update.

After moving the seat forwards on the rail, I've decided to leave it as is.

A ride out with the other half on her Boardman road bike saw me keep up with her on the flat at a steady 16 to 18mph and only slightly fall back on long slog hills (Mainly due to my lack of fitness)

So very happy with the Zaskar and how it rides. Maybe need a bigger large chainring but that is all :)

Back