Ibis Mt. Trials

Huelse

BoTM Winner
I always wanted an Ibis Mountain Trials. One day I heard from FirstFlightBikes that they might give away their bike, which I had seen before at mombat:

MtnTrialSide.jpg

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1989_Ibis_MT.html

Frame number 1022 makes this a 1990 model, if my chart is right. Also the Koski Duratracs steerer says "Tange 90". The frame unfortunately had a stuck seatpost in it at one time and the previous owner (before FF) had used a propane flame to loosen it up and the frame was charred. So Jeff did a kind of preserve-condition-repair and spray bombed the frame and then did the splatter. I decided to take that challenge and made a nice swap with Jeff that also included some parts.
This is how the frame looked when it arrived:

ibis1022mttrials01.jpg

ibis1022mttrials02.jpg

From the beginning, I had planned to repaint the black areas as matching as possible. Talking to my vintage (-car and -motorbike) engaged friends, I got told that a perfect colour match would be nearly impossible. I also had my own bad results paying someone for a non-matching stem. And a whole complete repaint never was a topic for me, since more than 3/4 are in nice original condition. Inspired by Carsten and his do-it-yourself-threads, I decided to try it, having done painting small parts and some touch-ups before.
Removing the black with chemicals was easy, after this came sanding and polishing:

ibis1022mttrials03.jpg

ibis1022mttrials04.jpg

First try with acrylic colour spray, not so happy with the result. It looked more promising with the colour card than in reality.

ibis1022mttrials05.jpg

ibis1022mttrials06.jpg

So, colour off again (using acetone, it didn't hurt the original colour). Next colour mix looked better.

ibis1022mttrials07.jpg

ibis1022mttrials08.jpg

A closer (possible to get) match I have not found yet, also the difference is very small, so I decided to stay with this colour for the moment.
I remembered I had one beaten and rusty set of Bullyeye cranks laying around. I liked the idea of colour-matching them.

ibis1022mttrials09.jpg

After numerous layers of clear paint, the next step was getting the splatter done. Asking Scot Nicol did not help (yet), so I did some experiments. Best results showed up using a very thin stiff plastic tube (1mm) that gets flooded sticking it inside the colour can and is then flipped with your hand. Hard to hit a specific spot, it always goes where you don't expect it, but the style had something in common with the original Ibis splatter.

ibis1022mttrials10.jpg

ibis1022mttrials11.jpg

Lots of polishing (also inbetween) later, I got this result:

ibis1022mttrials12.jpg

ibis1022mttrials13.jpg

ibis1022mttrials14.jpg

Built-up was relatively easy. This is what came out.

ibis1022mttrials15.jpg

ibis1022mttrials20.jpg

ibis1022mttrials19.jpg

ibis1022mttrials18.jpg

Deore headset is the only remaining (original?) part, not sure about those Sun Chinooks Rims, I think they were later. I also have a pair of matching grey RM-20s now, but I like that silver look for the moment.
Cranks came out fine, rear mech is a XT with 6400 cage (with relocated spring hole).

ibis1022mttrials16.jpg

ibis1022mttrials17.jpg

Size is 18" (the japanese production models were only available in 13" and 17"), still a little small but the AmericanClassic seatpost is long enough for me. I don't like these long looking out seatposts usually, but this bike seem to be one of the few where the constructeur had exactly this in mind, as old magazine reviews say, also reason to use their "29.4 Monster seatpost". Current weight is 12.3 kg (27.12lbs).

And it rides funny!
webP1020592.jpg

webP1020608.jpg

Very cool bike.

A possible winner in this months BOTM?

(U - Brake and 24" wheels...)

I was wondering why the rear wheel looked so fat... Those old Cannondale's with 24" rear wheels look awkward but this looks so right :cool:

Back