June 2012 BoTM 'Dead End Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so sure about 2WD. It was a rarity then, but they're still playing with the concept in modern times. (Teryo, Christini, Jeep Rubicon)

Still, IMO it's a dead end as it'll never catch on.

I'd like to enter my 1990 Ibis Mountain Trials.
It's dead end is the 24" rear wheel, some manufacturers used this between 1987 and 1992. After this period, there was a longer break until the 2000s when some Enduro's used a smaller rear wheel. Today, this design seems obsolete (Am I right?).
P1010739.jpg

P1010749.jpg

Build thread here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 06#1552106

Liking that bike. Didn't Cannondale do the 24/26 thing in their early days?

Biopace type rings are back especially on the road. Brad Wiggins seems to be a fan.

I'll throw this into the mix.

1992 Grove Innovations X-Frame
  • Neon paint
    "Beam" frame
    1" headtube
    Threaded headset
    Quill stem/handlebar combo
    Chainstay mounted U-brake
    Bottom-pull front derailleur pulley
IMAG0620.jpg

IMAG0608.jpg

Neil":2n5tsip5 said:
Rigid doesn't seem to have survived as an off-road aspect, perhaps there's an odd exception, but as a generalism, whenever I've seen line-ups of modern bike ranges, I don't recall rigid being apparent.

Most fat bikes I see pictures of are fully rigid, but I guess they are just a dead-end for the future...

phill77":34o53ktb said:
Neil":34o53ktb said:
Rigid doesn't seem to have survived as an off-road aspect, perhaps there's an odd exception, but as a generalism, whenever I've seen line-ups of modern bike ranges, I don't recall rigid being apparent.

Most fat bikes I see pictures of are fully rigid, but I guess they are just a dead-end for the future...

Having ridden one yesterday I'd say not. They are a barrel load of fun :)

Huelse":23h9b6lc said:
I'd like to enter my 1990 Ibis Mountain Trials.
It's dead end is the 24" rear wheel, some manufacturers used this between 1987 and 1992. After this period, there was a longer break until the 2000s when some Enduro's used a smaller rear wheel. Today, this design seems obsolete (Am I right?).
P1010739.jpg

P1010749.jpg

Build thread here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 06#1552106

Disqualified as it's an early variant of what is today known as 69er.
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back