The scrapping of old bikes ! *****YIKES *****

[/quote]
Alternatively, your pal needs to buy them off him for more than the metal value and then resell.[/quote]

If it was me, I would do this one. Why let the scrapman in on it if you can avoid it? :D

I will never cease to be amazed at what people will throw out. I know someone who has a licence for removal of items from a tip.

Top find was probably a £1500 diamond ring in a box of junk. Regular items are Microwaves with blown fuses, same goes for Dyson vacuums. A guy threw out a GWR railways passenger bench and there are endless mountain and kids bikes.

As they say, where there's muck, there's brass :)

This is a difficult one. Firstly your boy probably needs to start opening his wallet if he wants his boss to start caring about old bikes - it won't make a jot of difference to his boss but he will get some nice things and it's a good opportunity to supplement his income.

I think it's quite important for people who say they are dealing in things for their material value stick to their word, at least for the majority of the time.

It is a shame that the market is so inflated and at the same time people are throwing this stuff out - getting these things up for sale would probably do every one a favor.

a word of warning ... make sure and doubly sure that anything he puts to one side has been legitimised for him to take... maybe more than his supervisor's word. I know first hand of someone who was threatened with police action when they needed redundancies cos he had regularly gone through floor sweepings to look for useful bits. Everyone knew he did this, it was no undercover habit.

The people throwing out arent stupid, theyre not in the know, they havent got the time, they dont want to entertain tyrekickers insulting their loved one's possessions, they just want rid.

As another person in Yorkshire I agree with the comment about not being able to take anything of the waste recycling site (tip), and when I do take junk to the tip its sickening to see bikes of all ages that are just not wanted being thrown in to be crushed when some just need the tyres pumping up and some oil on the chain.
My wife has just got a new bike, the old hybrid with suspension being too heavy and slow for her and I'm now in a dilema as to what to do with the old bike, do I just dump it, or try and find someone who would be grateful for a free bike whatever its like.

My ethics say its wrong just to dump it when it still works (if the frame was broken then that would be different) but most of society doesn't want anything that's not brand new.

Does any one know of any 'Re - cycling' projects who could use a bike?

Chris

I have been buying and selling bikes like these for the last few years. My supply was a guy who had the tip tender, and at the time, he couldn't keep up, I was paying between £5 and £15 per bike. I've had Ribble, a Raleigh Gran Sport, high end Peugeot and Raleigh....in fact my garage currently has around 60 bikes in it awaiting tlc, or the prices to rise.

Someone else seems to be getting them now, so I'm having to be a bit keener on timing and price, but the turnover of bikes is amazing, a lot of the 'modern' stuff goes straight to a local'ish auction.

I also have a scrap man who phones me, I've had Skyway BMX wheels, and the other day an old Vindec which I haven't really looked at properly, but it's rough.

The theme with most of the bikes is knackered tyres/buckled wheels/snapped cables/scratched paint, but I can live with that. One day Rodney we'll be millionaires :LOL:

Makes my blood boil!

I have not long since got back into biking and i now can no longer afford to have a car to restore so have started on bikes.

I buy and sell and some are given to me that need work and I do ok with it and also have a contact to help out with a local bike scheme! So as my dad works for the council i tried to get him to get me into contact with the tip guys but to no avail :(

He has seen some lovely bikes go through and its disheartening when they could be so easily re used/repaired or even donated to local schemes etc.

So I am about to start Fatbottomed Bikes, I have had some leafelts printed and I am going door to door to start with and offering a minimum £5 for any old bikes that would be sent to the skip. I had a small trial run a few weeks back of only 100 business cards and I ended up with 6 bikes 5 your general MTB's and one 1970's Raleigh Magnum.

If this works and works well I will go into it properly plus it gives me something to do with the 10 weeks off i have over summer (work at a college) I hate seeing stuff go to waste and especially when I work with under privilieged and special needs students who could make use of these bikes.

Stephen
Don't scrap! reCYCLE!
fatbottomedbikes@yahoo.co.uk

if you don't want to throw a bike away, just post an advert on freecycle or even ebay free to collect. It pains me to throw anything away, so thats my usual outlet is freecycle or gumtree.

I used to be able to buy bikes from our local tip, even after it was tendered out it was still possible for a while then the management got wise to the staff making a few extra quid to top up their meagre wages so they stopped it on pain of dismissal!
The fools didn't even realise their was money to be made not to mention to actually reuse, reduce, recycle maxim we constantly hear spouted!
All my scrap now goes to a mates dad who weighs scrap in a few times a year when he gets enough, in return I get the odd interesting bike/item...I don't even use that 'tip' anymore as a visit there often results in seeing really decent bikes going in the scrap bins and on asking and offering cash a definate "No mate it's against policy" is always recieved!

Back