Ritchey Swiss cross - what year?

Yetidh9

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Do anyone know when Ritchey went from 1" to 1-1/8" headtube on the Swiss Cross. If they ever did (before the reproduction in 2012).

I am looking at a frame at the moment. It is full red, 1" headtube, curved (plexus) seatstays. But would like to state year of production before I consider to buy.

I just found a posts where it is indicated that the 1" model could be as late as 2000
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/cycloc ... 67629.html

It do however seem that the bike had the blue/white/red paint and have a fork with very moden shoulders.... This raises a new question: Are the plain red ones earlier or later than the blue/white/red ones?

This is another 2000model... but dont give much info on specific details.
http://www.eandsweb.com/cgi-bin/bikes.c ... ss%20Cross

The one I am looking at has serial number sc54 [which seems to mean swiss cross size 54] followed by 0385. The year 2000 one above have a number saying 0913... indicating that it is far later...

Yetidh9":2ttdjau0 said:
I just found a posts where it is indicated that the 1" model could be as late as 2000
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/cycloc ... 67629.html

It do however seem that the bike had the blue/white/red paint and have a fork with very moden shoulders.... This raises a new question: Are the plain red ones earlier or later than the blue/white/red ones?

This is another 2000model... but dont give much info on specific details.
http://www.eandsweb.com/cgi-bin/bikes.c ... ss%20Cross

The one I am looking at has serial number sc54 [which seems to mean swiss cross size 54] followed by 0385. The year 2000 one above have a number saying 0913... indicating that it is far later...

Also from Roadbike Review:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/2001- ... 04crx.aspx

This is an all-red job from '99 with plexus stays, whereas your link suggests the red/white/blue came in the year after. Further Googling also appears to indicate that models up to '97 had standard straight seat stays if that's any help.

David

This actually helps a lot. It seems that the one I have eyeballed must be around 99 if these informations are right... I will try to dig further and present some kind of timeline of models when I have gained further information...

Yetidh9":1wsqjp9x said:
This actually helps a lot. It seems that the one I have eyeballed must be around 99 if these informations are right... I will try to dig further and present some kind of timeline of models when I have gained further information...

Glad to be of help. I wish this thread had come up a few months ago as there's someone in the London CX League who rides a Ritchey with the all-red paint scheme; I could have asked him for a few details on your behalf! That race was the first time I'd seen a Swiss Cross outside of the internet; definitely nice looking bikes, but then steel cross bikes always are (I would say that, I own one after all) - Ritchey, Raleigh, Independent Fabrication and Fort have all made good ones in more recent times.

David

We are rather fortunate her in Denmark that cycle cross has been rather big. And Henrik djernis was rather keen on ritchey bikes in his cross days. So this meant that the importer had ritchey steel in the program. I have seen three around being used. And on top of that Stinus (form this forum - and from dk too) have a nice one that still look forward to see. And then there is the nice nos that I am quite keen on at the moment... Even though independent fab and others makes good steel cycle cross ritchey just have some history here in Denmark... With Henrik djernis and all. And I have always liked the ritchey frames form beeing no nonsens. No fancy stuff. Just pure craftsmanship and function..... Well I feel that I am warming myself up to getting this one. So I better stop dreaming and start saving ;-)

Hey, I was wondering if any of you could help me also try to nail down the year of my Swiss Cross. It has a 1" steerer. It's mostly red with a fade to white on the headbadge area, on the rear dropouts, and the middle area of the seat tube. There's also a rad sort of segmented (probably not the right word, but that's roughly what it looks like) fork. I'll see if i can post a pic or two and the serial number if that helps.[/img]

Here's a pic:

IMAG0176.jpg

Hi,
Really nice bike you got there. And stick to that fork. It is not that offten that you see one.
What is going on with the downtube shifters and the STI levers? Were the cables to short? ;-)

From what I have leaned so far your frame will be a model earlier than the one that I am looking on. The plexus seat stays are later than the straight stays. So 96-97-98... It may actually be that it is the same year as Stinus swiss cross (member in here... search for swiss cross and you will find his bike). He may be able to help you further...

Cheers

I did some searching and the other Swiss Cross you mention is the only one kind of similar to mine. I'll keep digging around and see what comes up.

I threw a downtube shifter on there just to be simple. The 9spd Ultegra is crapping out and not too reliable. I might put an ENO on it and single speed it for the trails in town, then go back to 1x9 for touring/longer rides. The bike is way smoother than I ever imagined steel could be. Definitely a rad bike.

Back