Suggestions for nice silver clincher rims :)

I was looking for low profile clincher rims not long ago to replace MA40s. I think the Exal XR2 are a good match if you're on a tight budget. They are slightly less deep than Chrinas and DRCs and cost the princely sum of £22 at Spa. :D

Have been surfing while the rest of the street are waving flags........Going to get some DRC rims, better the devil you know as Kylie sang :D

Shaun

bedraggled":h86kej6y said:
They sell Velo Orange products, the actual Velo Orange site is worth a visit.
The VO blog has lots of interesting articles to help fill up a wet Bank Holiday weekend.
http://velo-orange.blogspot.co.uk/

Quite keen on vo stuff myself, bit pricey though but probably worth it. I've had pedals, rando bars stem and braided cable so far and all seem good looking stuff. If fresh tripe are out of stock of anything give practicle cycles a try. I've found that both companies give quite quick service.

I wonder where I will end up if I Google Fresh Tripe LOL

I only found Hub Jub by mistake :D

Shaun

Lol, I think you have to scroll down a bit to get the one youre after

Hubjub is closing down I think, I had my nitto bars from there but I think they're more for the fixie market. There are some strangely named shops out there....

Hi Shaun :) MA40's are a nice strong but somewhat springy rim, "very comfortable & strong for long haul", withstand potholes well because they flex some much. Got 3 sets & love them as comforable fail-safes.

CXP12's /10's are much less springy but still comfortable, and pretty much bomb proof. Just built my second set and they true without any fuss, they are so strong and straight. These ARE silver/gold.

Mavic Argent's are shiny silver as are MA2's. They are more period correct and lace well as 2 pass or 3 pass. Again the older flatter rims are designed so for comfort and flex, but without being weak, becoming
easily buckled. My favourites are Blue Mavic SSC, but they come in silver/shiny too ( I think ?)

NISI make extremely good rims from what I've read, but I have yet to source and build a set, then put them to the test.

I've got 2 pair of Ambrosio Excellence TBQ (blue & grey). These are stunning rims to use IMHO, simply spin forever and feel every inch you ride like top quality rims. They look the dogs too :)

I've used other rims too, but you don't say if you're after a good stiff ride with a lot of power, or a more comfortable rim ? Shiny - Silvers are ten a penny on ebay, but for my mind I'd stay away from the newer cheaper heavier stuff, simply because the extra £20 you'll save will make your ride crap over distance & time. Good rims my mate are "everything" especially if you ride long haul out in the sticks. I dump all my Vuelta etc's as they arrive. Simply too ugly and heavy.

70's Record/S-Record hubs respond well to light rims. Use DB's if you can because they look very slimline which looks cool on the older SF hubs. Straight guage spokes are cheaper (or so I find) but are more suited to deep V rim's in a radial pattern. Hope some of this helps buddy :) Just remember there are 2 types of wheels, 1's that look cool and ride like shoite and 1's that look cool, ride like butter smooth and are cool. All the best buddy, yours, Laz.

Back