V Brake Pads which ones?

Andy B

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
After the last ride on my Clockwork I've come to the conclusion that the pads I have are pretty poor, not sure on the brand but they appear to be a double compound style

The rear easily locked up but the front just didn't cut the mustard when descending

Rims and pads aren't contaminated and there are no other issues I can find with the rest of the brakes (Avid Speed Dial 7 levers & Cane Creek Direct Curve 3 arms)

So Retrobikers, which V brake pads offer the best stopping power in all conditions?

PS I just need the pad insets & not the holders

rocky ridge":bcmi0kw2 said:
depends on what rims you have as some pads work great with some rims but crap with others
Mavic XC717 or Mavic Crossland.

I swap between the two as the Crosslands are set up with summer tyres and are converted to tubeless

I was on the XC 717's on the last ride. Minimal rim wear, but are bedded in

Andy, can you get hold of the Clarks Triple compounds ? Quite a thick pad.
I can lend you a set or the OBE/DiscoBrakes equivalent so you can try them out.

That or you're getting to use to your Cube ;)

FluffyChicken":1xivo36b said:
Andy, can you get hold of the Clarks Triple compounds ? Quite a thick pad.
I can lend you a set or the OBE/DiscoBrakes equivalent so you can try them out.

That or you're getting to use to your Cube ;)
Should be able to get Clarks stuff, can also get BBB, Swiss Stop, Shimano, Fibrax,

Thick pads are good as the Cane Creek arms do come in quite close to each other when the brake is on, so maybe I'm losing some leverage? (I do have the pad washers set with the thick washers in the right place by the way!)

Whilst the Cube does stop on a dime, the V's on the Clockwork used to be pretty good brakes and I could lock the front up before, but not any more

I think its the swiss stop green ones that are purportedly good.

No experience from me though, sorry.

Ive had no Issue with the Clarks on my GTs I use for tarmac.Not sure how well they would work when hammered down hill on a rocky trail though. :?

Back