New to Forum

Sir Walter

Raleigh Fan
Hello from Brighton !
I Found this site whilst researching my recently acquired Raleigh Road Bike frame, I knew it was a Carlton (Worksop) built frame but had never seen one in the colour scheme before up until someone on here posted a Raleigh Frame set brochure.
So thanks to this site I now know I own a Gerald O'Donovan drawn 1988 Type 8801 653 Race frame, Campagnolo dropouts and Cinelli bottom bracket.

I am looking to build it up with period Campag conponents as it is in Italian colours, I am looking for Croce D'aune/Record C chainset, front and rear mech. May need some help finding correct age rims as I have limited knowledge, I know I am limited to a 6 speed screw on block due to frame width 125-127mm. I welcome any feedback.

I have a small collection of vintage bicycles which include a 1939 large twin top tube all steel Raleigh, 1922 De Dion Bouton, 1928 Vindec Ladies Loop 1926 Herstal ladies loop all of which my partner and I ride.

Regards Barry

Welcome to the site! There are a few Campag gurus on here and a look through the Campag catalogues John has very kindly uploaded to the archive also answers some questions, I find.

That's quite a collection - we'd appreciate some photos! :shock:

Nice sounding collection indeed. Is the Herstal an FN (Belgian) bike,
with the rod drive? Would like to see some pictures of that.

Johnny

Welcome :D

I wouldn't get too fixated on having everything campag......BITD it was only the teams and people with more money than sense who could afford it.

Most mortals saved up for the frame and then fitted whatever we could afford, transfer from our old frame or what we liked the look of :)

Then at least we could ride it :)

Are you looking for clincher's or sprints / tubs ?

Shaun

Thanks Guys !

Will post some photos of the older bikes soon.

@Johnsqual No the Herstal is not a shaft drive (I wish ! ) don't really know much about it other than than the Herstal stamped chainring and a very nice French brass Tax ring dated 1937 attached to the bar stem, the whole thing is completely original found in France sometime last year.

@ Midlife I am not too bothered about having everthing Campag its just with it being the top of the range frameset and the Italian colours I decided to go that route, I could have bought some NOS weinmann blue anodized brakes with the bike but I bought some New in box Campag nuovo Gran Sport levers and calipers instead. I will be using the mavic sealed bottom bracket that was in the frame, I also bought a new in box Stronglight 42 52 chainring but would prefere 39 53.
Will probably be looking for clinchers but as you say its whatever I can find thats affordable.

Cheers Barry

Back