Anyone want to swap Dura Ace 7400?

OK, I should learn to look harder. I've got a spare 23 (lightly used) and an unused 28 which I have been keeping since 1988, "just in case"... Not sure if your mech would reach round it, but it might provide a workable bail out gear.
Nick

I used a mix of 7 and 8 speed sprockets to make up a lower geared (13 - 28 ) 8-speed cassette for the Pendle Witches event. Worked fine.

My legs didn't.

Thanks everyone. I'm away for a few days now so ill pick this up when I get back (otherwise I'll be in the wifes bad books for being on a pc on holiday!! )
:)

That's a Dura-Ace 8-speed Uniglide cassette.

foz":24tahhw4 said:
If I'm not mistaken (again!) then you can also use HG sprockets on a UG-only body, all except the last (smallest) one that must be UG.
Hyperglide sprockets can be used if modified by filing down the single wide spline. You're right about the smallest sprocket, but note that Dura-Ace used a smaller diameter thread than other Uniglide hubs (to allow an 11t sprocket to be used) making replacements very hard to find now.

The difference in thickness between 7 and 8 speed sprockets is minimal, you shold have no trouble at all mixing them up a bit.
For Uniglide there was no difference - only the spacers differed in thickness.

D'oh!

one-eyed_jim is quite right; I ought to read my own box and velobase more carefully! It is indeed uniglide, as are my spare 23 and 28 sprockets. Apologies for sowing more confusion.

If the threaded sprocket is a problem, I have an unused 13 tooth Dura Ace uniglide one that you are welcome to. My guess is that it is the bigger sprockets that are the issue in this case though.

Nick

I'm still a bit cautious about this as I see a lot of differences between the photos of the cassettes and my photos.

Is it possible that the hubs were designed for 7 speed but someone has stuck on an 8 spd freewheel ?

If you google "Sheldon Brown Dura Ace Compatability", there's a bit about the 8 speed Uniglide and ways around the common issues. Apparently they only used them for one year, so replacement issues aren't uncommon.[/i]

I just purchased two used MF-7400-7s if you are interested in one of them.
Both are 13-14-15-17-19-21-24T.

I think it will be exceeding difficult to find the 13-15-17-19-21-23-26T configuration. I've been looking for a while, but I do know someone who picked one up on eBay last year.

We're in the same boat with getting older and wanting lower gearing!

John Bertram":2uylxxeo said:
I just purchased two used MF-7400-7s if you are interested in one of them.
Both are 13-14-15-17-19-21-24T.
is this a freewheel?
If mine turns out to be a freewheel and not a cassette, then i will be in touch. Thanks. I need to find somewhere that can remove it first!!

John Bertram":2uylxxeo said:
We're in the same boat with getting older and wanting lower gearing!
Good to know im not alone :D. I also want to lower the chainring. I have 39/53 but want to replace my 53 ring with something smaller...perhaps 50t. But I doubt dura ace came in smaller than 52 (?) so need to find out if there's compatible rings.

Back