10 Under the Ben and other races

Glad it went well for you guys, did not go so well for me.
After a reasonable 4 laps in just over 4 hours, going fairly steady due to the heat, I was feeling pretty good despite the heat. Stopped at the start/finish to change bottles over, bent down to pick up the bottles and instantly felt sick, so went to sit in the shade of the saddle span tent. Where Johnny Meres, who does the commentary, came over looking very worried asking if I was ok. I tried to say that I was, he wasn't convinced at all and went off to get a medic, two rehydration solutions later was told just to lie down...I did this for 15 minutes and then got back on the bike...I don't think getting back on the bike was part of the deal! Did one more lap which was ok, but on the decent at the far end of the 2nd loop of the course my head hurt at every bump and had no power at all and decided to call it a day. Johnny Meres (who I know through work) was shocked to find that I had gone out again, apparently I was very much "lights on, no one home".

Really disappointing as I was looking for a good result after last years race but knew it was going to be a struggle as soon as I saw the weather forecast, never been able to cope with heat even as a child...I am planning to switch my focus to autumn/winter racing I think!

Thanks, yes stupid to go out again, partly single minded determination/not wanting to waste all the time spent training for 10 under but mostly probably because I wasn't thinking straight at all!

Felling better now thanks.

Solo entrance would be a killer for me as well, I had two bottles empty before I reach start point on every lap plus I drinked 1 liter while waiting for Kaiser. I've taken 8-9 liters of water during race and didn't pee at all :D Cold water from a tab behind gondolas after each lap helped a bit as well.

c_i_c is that you in the pics on the No Fuss site? Cut off shirt?

Back