Olmo - fluted tubing, project now complete

I like the lights in the original photo!

I have to agree with you about Monoiplanars, much better looking than Deltas.

I see you've just got some Veloce shifters: are they going on the Olmo?

ScillySuffolk":1ev2spkj said:
I like the lights in the original photo!

I have to agree with you about Monoiplanars, much better looking than Deltas.

I see you've just got some Veloce shifters: are they going on the Olmo?

It's not very long ago that I threw out a pair of those lights! Frankly they were cr*p but better than others of their generation, now beaten into a cocked hat by any modern Cree LED system. The clamp mechanism on those old lights was a masterpiece of clunky, bulky, fragile junk, glad to see the back of them!

The Veloce shifters I have just bought are 10 speed and won't fit on the Olmo as I need 8 speed, but I might be able to swap parts with another bike to give me 8 speed Veloce Ergos on the Olmo and 10 speed Veloce on my Vitus 979. Or maybe I'll wait until a nice Campag Racing triple groupset comes along and I'll use the 10 speed Veloce Ergos with that on my Roberts. Choices, choices, so many choices.......

Gordon

It's good to have choices: I recently bought some Record Carbon shifters off Accountant Pete and now have a pair of Record Titanium 8 speed I bought off LFGSS (probably why they were cheap)!

Hey Jim, if you like those lights I've got a couple of sets. Problem is, the plastic mounts were rather fragile and liable to crack at inopportune moments. They take big batteries that probably cost nearly as much as a new LED light...
Nick

Thanks for the offer Nick, but my tongue was firmly in my cheek!

Lights are one area that I don't hanker after the retro.

Re:

It is a beautiful frame, but it is definitely not Gilco (it's Oria) and it's absolutely not an Olmo. The quality of the lugwork and the brake bridge especially make it something cheaper than an Oria - maybe a Hrinkow or some other eastern European frame. The 'original' photo you saw of it was probably a previous iteration of the bike as a counterfeit Olmo.

Re:

If you're going to pretend that it's an Olmo, at least lose the Colnago G4 tubing decal and get a proper Columbus MS (Gilco) decal. Although, Olmo never used Gilco; they used custom-shaped Columbus SP.

Oh geez, my mistake. When I wrote that it's 'something cheaper than an Oria - maybe a Hrinkow', I meant to write Olmo. It's something cheaper than an Olmo - maybe a Hrinkow. I'm sorry, I didn't mean Oria (though it is made from Oria tubing), I meant that it's a Hrinkow - not an ORIA.

Back