The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new to the whole retrobike thing. Mainly because when I started MTB'ing in '93, retro wasn't.

I bought a second hand Marin Pine Mountain (white frame with fluro orange forks & decals) from a guy in a bike shop when I went to London in '93. Apparently he was a bit of a racer, so it had some good bits on it. I rode it as a commuter while I was there and then lugged it back with me to Australia.

Some mates and I got into the whole racing gig. We gifted some old tires from one of the local racers, wound them onto the trusty Araya RM20 rims and signed up at the tent. Over then next 12 months or so we would take turns using the bike at different meets. Anyway, I found other distactions. So the Pine Mountain sat around for the past 10 years. As midde age started catching up with me, I recently decided to jump back on the old bike. What a blast. It rode just like I remebered. Anyway, I rode the bike for a few months after doing no more than just pumping some air into the tires, but decided to "refresh" some of the parts.

My "refresh" turned into a complete rebuild. The bike rides so sweet, but the paint looks terrible. I am about to start looking for someone to repaint the bike, but first I need to find out wether it's possible recreate or redo the decals.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to finding out a bit more about the Marin and perhaps even take on another retrobike.

Cheers

hi guys, got pointed towards this site by a mate on the Corrado forum, and seeing as I'm finally about to start rebuilding the bike i bought a little while ago, i though it about time to join...!

started MTB'ing in about '91 i think (i forget these things!) with a black/blue weird paint effect GT Timberline equipped with Shimano 300LX groupset - all i did to that was stick some bar ends and SPuDs on it and enjoy it...

traded it with a mate a couple of years later for a Kona Lava Dome that I think had 400LX on it, but not quite sure...! whilst owning that, i managed to blag a few days work experience (when in 6th form at school) with the mighty Declan Hicks at Zero Components in Cranleigh! went on a few rides with him and even got to ride his fully ti-, ally- and carbon'd-up Offroad Proflex 953 - worth about £2500, which was a hell of a lot of money in them days! it even had 3" travel forks, unheard of then...

traded up to a '94 Marin Eldridge Grade not long after, the matt grey and anodised red model with the XTR-copy version of Deore LX, Mavic M231 rims and my trusty spuds... ahhh, i seem to have a penchant for steel frames...

unfortunately, not long after i learned to drive in '95, the bike and i parted company, and i've been out of the mtb scene ever since.

til earlier this year, when i saw a very cheap Bontrager Privateer (unfortunately one of the Trek ones, but still a USA frame afaik) on the 'bay, with Pace RC36s to boot! it was only a couple of hundred, and i was planning to use it as just a bit of a hack - but when it arrived, i took one look at the state it was in and decided to rebuild the whole bike into something that my 16yr-old self would have been proud of. so, the forks have recently arrived back from Pace, having had a full stripdown and rebuild, the frame is almost fully stripped and will be off to the shot-blasters and powder coaters soon, and my credit card is ready for the abuse that it'll take whilst furnishing me with a load of goodies in the vein of M900 XTR, Hope, USE, et al...!

Will hopefully get some pics up soon... :)

for my sins, i also drive a '93 VW Corrado VR6, and own a Thoroughbred ex-racehorse...

Hopefully I'll make it to some of the rides one the beast is ready!

Hello everybody

Hi, I'm new to this malarkey.

Have been into bikes for a few years, here's a list of highlights of bikes owned:

Scott Unitrack, deore LX, scott unitrack forks 1992.

S Works M2 rigid frame, 1997 ish

Specialized Ground control extreme, XT, RS Judy twincrown forks, 1998ish

Sadly all departed.

I'm currently owning a 2000 S works M4, a 2001 <I think> Merlin mountain, with Pace carbon rigid forks, and, of interest here I guess, a Fuquay.

My Fuquay was ordered by a then mate who allowed Greg to display it at bike 95. It got nicked from the show, and before the replacement was built and delivered, Ian lost his job, so I stepped in and snapped it up. :D

It's a beauty, fitted with Pace rigid forks from 98ish, and some lovely bits: Middleburn RS3's, with Goldtec Ti chainrings and cassette, Zooka stem and 1inch chris king, avid tri-align and ultimate levers, ritchey ti axle gold pedals, pace sub130 bars and ESP SL 8sp shifters, with an old, silver XTR mech, 98 crossmax wheels. Pics soon.

I'm needing a seatpost and flite saddle to complete it again.Anyone got a Moby, blue, 27.2mm, or a USE - the old 2 bolt type?

I've just emailed Chipps Chippendale to ask if he wants to buy it, he's still got his old smoky bacon Fuquay.

Any other Fuquay owners out there?

Fuquay owner (ahem!)

Me!

Bought an old frame, forks and stem from a forum member here, it's in the process of being repainted and will be draped in spangly purple parts and titanium trinkets.....it's been a slow process but it's gonna be worthwhile, definately a keeper!

Love to see pics of your Fuquay.....hopefully it's too big for me if you're looking to sell!!!!!

stu

Hi folks

Just came across this site whilst looking for info to restore my old dale for some cyclocross in the winter. Though looking through some of the threads has already got me planning bigger things than I started with. :roll:

Anyway hopefully I can contribute something but I will more than likely be plundering for tips and info. :)

Another newbie

Hi all

I used to as a child dream of having a cool bike, do you remember that add for Yellow Pages the son thumbing through bike mags while the dad thumbed through the yellow pages for a cycle shop and the last bit is where the dad is sneakily watching as his son set of on his new racer, the son looks up just before cycling off. I wanted to be that lad and cycle of into the sunset, on a racer with proper gears, all I got were three speed Sturmey Archers that did not stir me at all.

Then I left home got a job and bought a Revill and it had all the gears I could only afford the 531 forks the rest was bog standard steel but I loved it!! Since then I have had numerous non descript ones, living in Nottingham, in a mixed thugs and students area they were stolen on a regular basis so good ones were a waste of money.

Now I build them and sell them and build them and sell them, sometimes they go to my hubby or son, but me I stopped riding when I had my children and am waiting for the moment when that adrenalin rush, I used to get, returns. Until then I shall have to content myself with building. Maybe I need to find the dream frame to build myself one that will be so good it will bring me back out into the world.

I use to work in Newark and live Nottingham and cycle to and from work, about 20 miles, and I used to race the bus and almost won I would go soo fast it was dead cool. :cool:

Re: Another newbie

Isaac_AG":1c7reov5 said:
Hi all

I used to as a child dream of having a cool bike, do you remember that add for Yellow Pages the son thumbing through bike mags while the dad thumbed through the yellow pages for a cycle shop and the last bit is where the dad is sneakily watching as his son set of on his new racer, the son looks up just before cycling off.

"... and just look at that saddle, it'd be like sittin on a razor blade" :D

Hi all

Hi all, found this site whilst browsing for some old retro bike photo's.

Well I'm 35 & have been riding mountin bikes since before they were popular in the UK (mid 80's) My early Bike list is below

Muddy Fox Courier (various types from mid 80's)
Muddy fox Challenger (1st serious bike!)
Muddy Fox Explorer(complete with eleptical cranks & Suntour roller cam brakes)

plus a few others Grisley,Klein, Specialized etc...

thats about it form me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back