Rear suspension modifications.

coomber":nhumz92k said:
Pics. I want an update on your thread!

No real progress to speak of :?
My boss is on his hols next week so i could have made the bushes then, was it not for the fact that i am on holiday too :x

Grannygrinder:
i just had a sleeve made by a member off this forum.
i ordered bushes for my Fox rear shock for M8 rather than M6 :oops:
the sleeve fits nice and snug :) i do have a spare one that i reckon i could pass on to you :) providing its the right length (or at least the right length for you to cut down) its 40mm long, 6mm ID, 8mm OD.

i went down the same route as S-M but found that the quality of the bore through the tubing was off, so one side of the sleeve was thicker than the other, also, it was a fraction of a mm too small so the bolt didn't slide through nicely.

not sure if this is what you need (its not threaded as it was for the shock mount linkage)

PM me if interested :)

twain":1f0go0op said:
i went down the same route as S-M but found that the quality of the bore through the tubing was off, so one side of the sleeve was thicker than the other, also, it was a fraction of a mm too small so the bolt didn't slide through nicely.

not sure if this is what you need (its not threaded as it was for the shock mount linkage)

PM me if interested :)

Yeah i saw that tubing as well, was that not the alloy version?

My B&Q is really badly organised in this section, so everything was all over the place, i picked up the version you described and i remember it being off, not sure why, i was about to give up as the section that was supposed to have the steel pipe in it was empty (bar some threaded bar :roll: )

Then i spotted the bargin bin and found what i was after :LOL:

yeah, it was the alloy tubing - all of the rack samples were off. they did have some steel tubes of better quality but none the correct dimensions :(
tried in 2 B&Qs round here with no luck! so gave up and asked a chap on here who kindly obliged! did a good job he did :) shock is up and running on the FSR now, but i've now got an 'A link' bush problem. upon further inspection i think its slightly worn on the drive side (a bit of play makes a small 'clunk' noise0 - took me a while to sniff it out as i thought it was the wheel axle.
looking to get some bearings to replace it all now (trying to piece together some needle roller bearings off the bay with some more bushes made up for them. should work out cheaper than the BETD stuff.
or i may just bite the bullet and buy the kit :S i'm skint anyways so it may not happen for a while :(

i found most of my rear play was actually from the stock rear shock!

Back end feels pretty tight, it even seams a bit stiff before it actualy moves, which seams to work great for pedal antibob while sitting down :LOL:

I have held off on the bearing kit because i suspect that it will take a lot more maintainence to keep it happy, but i have not ruled it out.

My mate was winging about having to replace all the bearings in his newer Enduro after a year, don't fancy that much. The way i look at it, the bushes in the bike at the moment have probably lasted about 14 years!

good point! it may be worth (and cheaper) to just replace them like for like :)
i just hope its not the frame hole that's worn rather than the bush itself!

need to take a proper gander at it to see whats going on :S

i would imagine the linkage would be more plush, but i'm not sure i'd notice the difference - and as you said, it probably serves as a built in anti bob mechanism :p

twain":2nglk5gp said:

i would imagine the linkage would be more plush, but i'm not sure i'd notice the difference - and as you said, it probably serves as a built in anti bob mechanism :p
have you changed the shock eyelet bushes

bigmick":33wfh3ja said:
twain":33wfh3ja said:

have you changed the shock eyelet bushes

not sure what you mean here - if you are referring to my 'clunky' issue, its to do with the A links (by the rear dropouts). my shock bushes are fine - no play in them...

Back