Need help with old raleigh

miggsy

Retro Newbie
First post go easy on me ;) only found this site today andhave spent most of it going through all the cracking resto posts

So i have been given a old raleigh road racer he told me it was a raleigh carlton but since looking at some of the pics of carltons they look different

the serial number is WA1004468 which i think is either a worksop 71 or 81 it has all raleigh componenents and 10 speed both quick release wheels with wide flange hubs half chrome forks and is very light

The only trouble i got is the frame has been sprayed in its life with rattle cans so dont know what model it is i will get some pics up tomorrow but if you need detailed pics of certain bits please let me know and i will sort

Once i know what it is i plan to restore the frame to original spec with decals etc and period era components

Many thanks

Mike

miggsy , welcome aboard , you should be able to date it from looking at the hubs and on the back of the brakes as both should have the last 2 digits of the year those parts were made .

looks like a 1980

here a few pics

IMG-20120529-00470.jpg

IMG-20120529-00471.jpg

IMG-20120529-00474.jpg

IMG-20120529-00473.jpg

IMG-20120529-00472.jpg

IMG-20120529-00475.jpg

The brakes, fork tops and rear stay tops are identical to those on a Raleigh Richmond. If it's a Richmond it should be 531 tubing. Only real way to tell is to measure the seat post. If it's 27.2mm then it's 531. Anything smaller and it is not.

measured the seatpost and its 27.10 so looks like its 531 :D

just got to find some good pics of the raleigh richmond all i could find it frames that have been converted to fixed wheels :cry:

If it is a Richmond they came in men's and women's frames and I think were 10-speed as original, but some pics show only 5. Not sure what bars they actually came with, because her-indoors' one doesn't have drops and it may have had a stem mounted shifter rather than down-tube. 27" wheels. A chain guard would have been on the chainring from what I could determine.

IMG_6705.JPG

Quite a few pics in this thread: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/raleig ... 531.57981/

There is an interesting piece on Raleigh components on the Disraeli Gears site.

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Ral ... lleur.html

Seems like Raleigh produced their own branded version of the Suntour V Luxe derailleur, and that looks very similar to what's on your bike. So what you have got is perfect. Or you could replace with Suntour stuff if it needs
replacing.

In any case, Suntour made some of the best friction shifting gears at the time (often better than supposedly higher end Campag and Shitmano), so I would probably go for that.

Johnny

thats a good read i now need to find some 531 decals and the correct richmond ones i think thats going to be tricky

Back