Inner tubes, is there really any difference??

A_Venables

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ive just bought a cheapy from ASDA for £1.79! Made by BELL. Is there really any difference between this one and the branded ones like Continental, Michelin, like what I used to buy a few years ago??

Hmm not much.

Probably different qualities of rubber and more consistency (i.e no bulges) with the more expensive ones and even wall thickness.

I believe.

Most seem to be broadly similar. Lots have the 'Presta valve ripping out disease' - especially Specialized.

My preference is Schwalbe, they seem lighter and also sturdier.

As for presta valves, I find them a pain, Im also in to cars so have lots of stuff with shreader valves and even all the suspension forks, fox shock I have is shreader....
As for tubeless all the bits I have are tubed (retro) apart from 1 michelin tyres and a pair of mavic rims that im using tubed anyway. :oops:

hamster":25sxy279 said:
Most seem to be broadly similar. Lots have the 'Presta valve ripping out disease' - especially Specialized.
are the valve holes on the rims drilled for presta, if not are you using presta adapter for hole

It's even with correct valve holes. There are some where the tube reinforcement is very thin and the valve pops out. Late 90's was worst, but I had a Conti tube do it last year.

Contis are well reinforced around the base of the valve stem. The valve stems are also threaded and - on the Presta models - come with a lockring that can be reversed so it stops the stem wobbling around in a rim with a Schraeder drilled hole. I always use Conti, at £5 they are pricey so I keep an eye out for bulk deals on CRC etc. My choice anyway! :)

Back